Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I had a Smart top for my Boxster and loved being able to open close the top with only one touch of the bottom. Now that I've got the 997 Cab I would like to have the ability to the same. However, I really don't need all the other features, most of which I can do already from the factory. My question is will the Smart Top unit I used for my 2001 Boxster work in the 2007 997 ? If so, would it wire up the same ? If not, does anyone know if the Smart Top people, or anyone else, have a less option packed( less expensive ) gadget that will just allow me to open and close the top without holding down the switch ?

While I'm on the subject, when openning and closing the top there doesn't seem to be specific point at which the process ends. I either get the "top latch not seated warning" or I have to hold the switch long enough to get the windows moving before I can let the switch go without getting the warning. Wouls appreciate any thoughts on my delema. Thanks.

US 2007 C4S CAB 6spd

I had a Smart top for my Boxster and loved being able to open close the top with only one touch of the bottom. Now that I've got the 997 Cab I would like to have the ability to the same. However, I really don't need all the other features, most of which I can do already from the factory. My question is will the Smart Top unit I used for my 2001 Boxster work in the 2007 997 ? If so, would it wire up the same ? If not, does anyone know if the Smart Top people, or anyone else, have a less option packed( less expensive ) gadget that will just allow me to open and close the top without holding down the switch ?

While I'm on the subject, when openning and closing the top there doesn't seem to be specific point at which the process ends. I either get the "top latch not seated warning" or I have to hold the switch long enough to get the windows moving before I can let the switch go without getting the warning. Wouls appreciate any thoughts on my delema. Thanks.

US 2007 C4S CAB 6spd

I put the SmarTop module on my 05 C2S cab a year ago. I would contact the manufacturer, but I believe the units are different for the Boxster and the C2S cabs. I doubt they come in any other form than the ones that offer about 8 features. I liked the one-touch up and down for the windows, the ability to control all 4 windows with the computer stalk, the ability to over-ride the rear window controls by holding the front window controls, and of course best of all was the remote control of the top and one-touch control for it from the inside switch. For the C2S cab, the install is very simple, no wiring. Just insert the module in line with the existing one. By contrast the unit for my Targa (same as coupe) required much more wiring work to install, which I did yesterday. Ignore the extra features you don't want and do it. It is a really great feature on the cabs, much more so than the coupes/Targas.

I do not recommend anyone using a smart top module, or any other product made by IT-Wilhelmy. I had one for a 997 cabrio and it failed catastrophically in less than two weeks. I was very lucky that there was no damage to the car. This failure may have been an anomaly, but the manufacturer's response to the problem was unacceptable, to say the least. IT-Wilhelmy was completely unapologetic and uncaring about the failure of their product and the problems it caused me. I was out of pocket for two way shipping, installation, removal and 5 days use of the car. The cost of the unit was refunded eventually.

Not even a simple apology for the failure of their product. A discredit to the aftermarket community.

• 11 months later...
Hi , just noticed your post, i have a uk spec 2006 997 c4 cab and you can operate the roof up or down at up to 40 mph as standard, no smart top fitted, thats how it came from the factory.

I can operate the top while moving as you indicate. Smart Top allows you to open/close with only a touch of the button. No need to keep pushing it until the top is done. However, all the other features just run the price of it up to where it's not worth the $$'s to me. Was looking for a cheaper alternative.