Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My o4 996C2 has had exhaust rattles since I bought it, the dealer tried to fix it by adjusting and tightenting the exhaust tips with no success. The rattles, and now noises, have gradually gotten worse and most lately their is a pinging sound from the left side when going around a hard right. The ping sounds very much like an ignition ping but the dealer said that it wasn't possible because of the knock sensor. A few days ago I started to drive with the PSE turned OFF - and viola - no rattles, no ping. My question is if it is possible that the PSE valving is the problem? My dealer tends to put me through numerous cycles of their denying any problems before they finally agree that they experience whatever symptom I am reporting. I found through using this site that having some knowledge before I go in really speeds up the process of working with the dealer. The car is CPO.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks in advance.

If your car is a CPO'd, I'd keep hounding the dealership to replace the PSE under warranty. This was one (of the many) reasons I selected to add the PSE on my car last year. Because it would be covered with the remainder of the new car warranty, since I purchased it through Tequipment and was dealer installed.

It's not like there are a lot of "movingp parts" on an exhaust. So I wonder what could be damaged, and how it got damaged. Possibly one of the bypass valves (not sure the exact name) is damaged on that side.

What could cause damage? A backfire? Just throwing out other stuff to consider.

If your car is a CPO'd, I'd keep hounding the dealership to replace the PSE under warranty. This was one (of the many) reasons I selected to add the PSE on my car last year. Because it would be covered with the remainder of the new car warranty, since I purchased it through Tequipment and was dealer installed.

It's not like there are a lot of "movingp parts" on an exhaust. So I wonder what could be damaged, and how it got damaged. Possibly one of the bypass valves (not sure the exact name) is damaged on that side.

What could cause damage? A backfire? Just throwing out other stuff to consider.

It could be the cats where as the elements loosened up, or the PSE mufflers themselves where as the baffles broke free inside, or the flapper valve.

Actually I think sometime ago I read an article in Motor Trend on long term 2003 or 4 Porsche Carrera test the only thing that became faulty over a period of time was the PSE exhaust. It rattled which required the muflers to be changed out.

Actually I think sometime ago I read an article in Motor Trend on long term 2003 or 4 Porsche Carrera test the only thing that became faulty over a period of time was the PSE exhaust. It rattled which required the muflers to be changed out.

I sure hope this does not happen to me, in the longterm. I'd be very upset about buying a potential $2,300 rattle! :angry:

If your car is a CPO'd, I'd keep hounding the dealership to replace the PSE under warranty.

Just thought I'd add that the CPO warranty does not appear to cover mufflers, sport or otherwise. If it is covered under another warranty (which would likely be the case only if recently installed), you may have a shot. And you can always drop into another dealer, my experience is that most dealers love doing warranty work when possible/excusable.

You may want to ask the dealer's service manager to research this.

If your car is a CPO'd, I'd keep hounding the dealership to replace the PSE under warranty.

Just thought I'd add that the CPO warranty does not appear to cover mufflers, sport or otherwise. If it is covered under another warranty (which would likely be the case only if recently installed), you may have a shot. And you can always drop into another dealer, my experience is that most dealers love doing warranty work when possible/excusable.

You may want to ask the dealer's service manager to research this.

Thanks everyone. The car is CPO until 1/2010.

I'll check out the warranty question as I assume that it is just going to get worse over time.