Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket Muffler Install?

Hi guys,

I bought a Stebro Racing Exhaust (only the muffler) and am planning on doing the install myself on my 01 2.7L Boxster...

Has anyone here done such install? Do I really need to remove the rear bumper? How hard/time consuming should it be?

Please, let me know if you come across instructions on how to do the job.

Thanks,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

I've never used that particular muffler, but it shouldn't be too difficult. You have the clamps after the cats, then again before the muffler. In my case, there's a length of pipe between those two. Then, the clamps connecting the back of the muffler to the support bracing on the cats. Finally (I think), there's the connection with the clamps above the muffler. Those will suck a lot. You're going to find new curse words to describe the engineers who designed those connections. It would be a whole lot easier if you could just flip the car upside down. ;)

If all goes well, you won't have to bend your own pipes. I have a muffler I'm going to install as soon as I get the pipe sections bent. I think the Stebro will be fine since it's so small. Even the top bolts will be a breeze since you can actually see them as opposed to the stock muffler.

-Michael

I installed my Porsche Sport Exhaust without removing the rear bumper cover. However, removing the cover isn't very hard and it will give you better access and visibility.

Most of the process is pretty straightforward. The clamps on the "U" pipes can be a bear to get apart so be prepared with a rubber mallet and some WD-40 to loosen them up. You will probably need to move the upper mounting bracket over from your stock muffler. As Savowood mentioned, attaching the bracket to the top of the transmission is a b!tch because you need to do it blind. You'll be reaching up from the front side of the car, trying to get the nuts on the mounting bolts without being able to see them. It's tough to get a wrench in there to tighten the bolts. I played around with a few different ones until I found a setup that worked.

Hi guys,

I bought a Stebro Racing Exhaust (only the muffler) and am planning on doing the install myself on my 01 2.7L Boxster...

Has anyone here done such install? Do I really need to remove the rear bumper? How hard/time consuming should it be?

Please, let me know if you come across instructions on how to do the job.

Thanks,

Gus

I installed my Porsche Sport Exhaust without removing the rear bumper cover. However, removing the cover isn't very hard and it will give you better access and visibility.

Most of the process is pretty straightforward. The clamps on the "U" pipes can be a bear to get apart so be prepared with a rubber mallet and some WD-40 to loosen them up. You will probably need to move the upper mounting bracket over from your stock muffler. As Savowood mentioned, attaching the bracket to the top of the transmission is a b!tch because you need to do it blind. You'll be reaching up from the front side of the car, trying to get the nuts on the mounting bolts without being able to see them. It's tough to get a wrench in there to tighten the bolts. I played around with a few different ones until I found a setup that worked.

Thank you very much guys...

I will give this thing a try on the weekend... My concern with removing the bumper is the part where I need to remove the rear spoiler...

I will probably put the rear on stands to do the work - is that what you guys did?

Thanks,

Gus

It is quite easy to remove the rear bumper cover, as it gains you quite a bit of access to the upper mount. Rear spoiler comes off with a few simple plastic rivets which can be re-used.

Hi Guys,

I will get a pair of Rhino Ramps and try to do the job...

One question - if I decide to buy the plastic rivets for the spoiler in the event I need to replace them, does anyone know the part number?

BTW, my car is a 2.7L (2001), is my muffler also attached to the transmission area? I check underneath the car but couldn't see anything - but I guess that is the point!!!

All the best,

Gus

My car had approx 11k miles when I added the sport muffler (and cat bypass pipes). The bolts and clamps loosened and removed quite easily, without a penetrant. Depending upon your car's mileage and condition, yours may be a different story. You may wish to give them a squirt of penetrant a couple days before hand just to be certain. I doubt you'd require new hardware unless yours is in really bad shape. I believe your muffler is mounted the same as my 3.2 was; that is, attached to the tranny.