Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dallas,Texas Boxster owner looking for help DIY Urgent!

Hello,

2000 Boxster 2.7 owner located in Dallas Texas (Plano) needs help performing DIY work on my vehicle. I noticed a large puff of smoke when starting and I attempted to replace the AOS and thought I was successful however the dealership here said the clamp at the bottom (which I replaced the porsche plastic with a normal metal hose clamp has torn through the hose.) He says the AOS has to be totally replaced and I think he is not being totally honest because I remember it being just a little rubber boot that it held on the ABS like black plastic. Well that is one of the many things that I would need HELP with (basically have to show me but I could do it), the other things are:

1. REPLACE MY FILLER TUBE

2. OIL RETURN TUBES (4)

3. DO A 90K SERVICE (PLUGS, SERPENTINE BELT, FILTERS AND OIL CHANGE)

4. HORN FIX (The typical Boxster horn problem in hot climates)

5. HOOD POP (Busted cable one morning and emergency release cable cannot be reached)

Is there any other Porsche owners out there living in the Dallas area that are willing to help out a fellow porschephile. I really need help urgently due to the fact that I am currently in flight training and have to commute south of Dallas each week for training. I don't have alot of disposable income at present as a result of training however if someone competent when working on boxsters could just kinda "coach" me I would be more than grateful and would pay for their guidance. This is actually what I have wanted to do is to learn more about the internal workings so I can do the majority of maintenance on my vehicle! I am currently borrowing my wifes car to commute and I really don't want to fall behind in my training for a weekend's worth of work I don't know how to perform. The dealership cost is well ...... I had better say it's: dealership cost! (that way my username is not in question lol) If anyone has done this kind of work then please feel free to submit your ideas or if you know a competent technician that is reasonable. I can order whatever is necessary however the only time I have is on Fridays through Sunday, then it's back to flight training. Is there a Boxster club in Dallas that might help? I am not afraid to beg as you can clearly see lol. I REALLY want to get back into my car and give my wife her car back! Please help and Thanks in advance!

Ok, the first step is to take a deep breath and calm down! :D

If you want to be (or already are) a DIY'r all this stuff is covered in the Bentley and on this site (and others). Dig a bit deeper with your own research to find procedures that cover this stuff quite clearly with photos. I doubt you are going to get all your answers from a local this easy, so you need to find the confidence and info to get started on your own. Additionally, I preach to all newbies on this site that you need to take $350 and buy the Bentley Manual (book no CD) and the Durametric diagnostic software. Stop reading this post and just do it now! No Seriously Do it now. Now if you are going to tell me you just bought a Porsche and have no money, I'll want to slap you but if that fact is true then just get the Bentley to get you started on these projects and grab the Durametric when you have a CEL or your next paycheck.

One of many good sources of DIY stuff: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikespor...boxsterwebpages and there are several others.

Also, get your parts from the site sponsor, look under Special Offers on the top menu. I got my horn frame (bad bushings) on ebay for cheap (new) and got replacement horns from (Sunset). You have to figure out which is your horn issue and which steering wheel config you have. Again all this info is clearly on this website.

Serp belt ans service is also a DIY and on the site and in the Bentley.

Filer tube on this site but I have no comment on the oil return tubes as I am not familiar with them or that concern.

Now as far as the AOS, something is unclear. It doesn't sound like you replaced the AOS just fixed a boot, correct?

I am speaking out my *** here as I have been blessed with a 1997 with few issues and have not done the AOS yet...but you state it's only on startup? That sounds like a typical flat 6 engine (maybe to me). My puffs pretty good when the car sits for a few days. You state in your profile you had a 911 and you never experienced this? A failed AOS (just guessing here) has more smoke to share then start up (again look at Mike's page on this topic: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/airoilse...torreplacement).

Here is a quote from Mike's site: "A quick puff of smoke occasionally on start up is not at all unusual nor is it a sign of the AOS failing as long as it is only at startup. It is a characteristic of the flat-six engine and the way oil sometimes drains. You should check inside the AOS tubing where it goes into the air intake for heavy oil in the tube before removing/replacing the AOS. A light coating in that tube is normal. "

Dig deep young grasshopper and all you seek can be done in your garage with a gnarly set of tools. When you have 80% of the DIY done maybe someone will crawl out of the Texas dirt and help you, but don't hold your breath.

Edited by rsfeller

you may also want to post this on www.ppbb.com

aloha

steve

Hello,

2000 Boxster 2.7 owner located in Dallas Texas (Plano) needs help performing DIY work on my vehicle. I noticed a large puff of smoke when starting and I attempted to replace the AOS and thought I was successful however the dealership here said the clamp at the bottom (which I replaced the porsche plastic with a normal metal hose clamp has torn through the hose.) He says the AOS has to be totally replaced and I think he is not being totally honest because I remember it being just a little rubber boot that it held on the ABS like black plastic. Well that is one of the many things that I would need HELP with (basically have to show me but I could do it), the other things are:

1. REPLACE MY FILLER TUBE

2. OIL RETURN TUBES (4)

3. DO A 90K SERVICE (PLUGS, SERPENTINE BELT, FILTERS AND OIL CHANGE)

4. HORN FIX (The typical Boxster horn problem in hot climates)

5. HOOD POP (Busted cable one morning and emergency release cable cannot be reached)

Is there any other Porsche owners out there living in the Dallas area that are willing to help out a fellow porschephile. I really need help urgently due to the fact that I am currently in flight training and have to commute south of Dallas each week for training. I don't have alot of disposable income at present as a result of training however if someone competent when working on boxsters could just kinda "coach" me I would be more than grateful and would pay for their guidance. This is actually what I have wanted to do is to learn more about the internal workings so I can do the majority of maintenance on my vehicle! I am currently borrowing my wifes car to commute and I really don't want to fall behind in my training for a weekend's worth of work I don't know how to perform. The dealership cost is well ...... I had better say it's: dealership cost! (that way my username is not in question lol) If anyone has done this kind of work then please feel free to submit your ideas or if you know a competent technician that is reasonable. I can order whatever is necessary however the only time I have is on Fridays through Sunday, then it's back to flight training. Is there a Boxster club in Dallas that might help? I am not afraid to beg as you can clearly see lol. I REALLY want to get back into my car and give my wife her car back! Please help and Thanks in advance!

i've never done the things you asked about (because i'm new to boxsters but not cars), but i'm handy with tools and would be willing to help out a local... i'm in las colinas now, but moving to lewisville next week...

i also have durametric software and a cable but my laptop is busted, but if you have one we can set it up and take a look if you like :)