Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2006 Cayenne Turbo S Brake Squeal at very low speed.

Hello all, I have been 'creeping this forum for a while and I would like to thank all who provide tips and advice, it has helped me a lot. I have a 'new to me' 06 TS with a horrible squealing when trying to roll slowly, for example drivethrough's and when the guy at a light in front of you turns and you roll ahead a car length. After reading and searching this site, I realize that it is a common issue as the pads are engineered soft for feel, and fade resistance. I love my brakes, but I am sick of everyone staring at me as I stop or roll slowly. I am pretty sure that the noise is the worst on hot days, I think I read about that here somewhere as well. Has anyone replaced pads and rotors to see if this helps the noise? I would do it if I was sure it would go away, but I have a feeling this is one of the things that make the Cayenne so 'unique'. I run a retail store in Canada with a service shop, so if it is as simple as turning the rotors and burnishing the pads then I would do that as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help, and hope to see you on the road, (or in some cases off the road)!

What causes the squeal is the resonance of the vibration of the metal. On domestic cars, there's an anti-squeal gel that comes in tubes that you can put on the back of the pads when you install them to stop this vibration. On the Porsches they have shims between the pad and the caliper, which is supposed to do the same job. I don't know if it's advisable to use the anti-squeal compound on the Porsche brakes or not. Loren probably has better info as to why or why not that would work.

A non-mettalic brake pad might help.

Hello all, I have been 'creeping this forum for a while and I would like to thank all who provide tips and advice, it has helped me a lot. I have a 'new to me' 06 TS with a horrible squealing when trying to roll slowly, for example drivethrough's and when the guy at a light in front of you turns and you roll ahead a car length. After reading and searching this site, I realize that it is a common issue as the pads are engineered soft for feel, and fade resistance. I love my brakes, but I am sick of everyone staring at me as I stop or roll slowly. I am pretty sure that the noise is the worst on hot days, I think I read about that here somewhere as well. Has anyone replaced pads and rotors to see if this helps the noise? I would do it if I was sure it would go away, but I have a feeling this is one of the things that make the Cayenne so 'unique'. I run a retail store in Canada with a service shop, so if it is as simple as turning the rotors and burnishing the pads then I would do that as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help, and hope to see you on the road, (or in some cases off the road)!

What causes the squeal is the resonance of the vibration of the metal. On domestic cars, there's an anti-squeal gel that comes in tubes that you can put on the back of the pads when you install them to stop this vibration. On the Porsches they have shims between the pad and the caliper, which is supposed to do the same job. I don't know if it's advisable to use the anti-squeal compound on the Porsche brakes or not. Loren probably has better info as to why or why not that would work.

A non-mettalic brake pad might help.

Thanks, unless someone would recommend not trying, I think I will pull the calipers off and apply some of the anti-squeal gel, I will let everyone know if it does anything.

this is a known issue for the cayennes

we are chatting about it on 6speed forum

a bunch of us are going to try a spray brake cleaner

i will try it out this weekend.

The brake cleaner removes the dust and grime, but isn't going to do anything for the vibrations causing the squeal.

this is a known issue for the cayennes

we are chatting about it on 6speed forum

a bunch of us are going to try a spray brake cleaner

i will try it out this weekend.

The brake cleaner removes the dust and grime, but isn't going to do anything for the vibrations causing the squeal.

any reason why my brake squeal is intermittent? sometimes its bad. other times i hear nothing!

My understanding after asking around, is that the noise you hear is resonance, not scraping. To compare, resonance is what you hear when someone runs a wet finger around a crystal glass. Scraping is the sound of 'metal on metal' like if you rubbed your keys down the paint, or what people usually hear when there is no pad material left. This would mean as temp and humidity change so would the resonance of the brake components. The hotter the temp, the more obvious any resonace would be. I am trying "CRC" brand "brake quiet" on the back of the pass sun or mon, I will post pics and results.

• 3 weeks later...

At VERY low speed (under 7mph) and around 11-15mph, I get a similar report back. I had the pads checked, and of course I was told to replace them (standard operating proceedure I'd assume for anyone asking about their brakes). I looked at the pads myself, and the wear on the rotors and pads both looked well within normal. There was a lot of brake dust, but I fully know why; maybe I'll slow down when I get too old to have fun!

• 4 months later...

My apologies for bringing this back up to the top!

I am facing this exact issue with a 06 CTTS that I just picked up. The brakes are very noisy at low speeds, the problem tends to come and go.

Has anyone found a workable solution? Did the spray cleaner work? Should I have the (only) dealer check them out?

Thanks for all your help!

Will it make a difference if I swap to ceramic pads? Any recommendations? Would I need to change rotors? Questions questions. This is all very new to me!

Edited by appleweed

• 2 weeks later...
My apologies for bringing this back up to the top!

I am facing this exact issue with a 06 CTTS that I just picked up. The brakes are very noisy at low speeds, the problem tends to come and go.

Has anyone found a workable solution? Did the spray cleaner work? Should I have the (only) dealer check them out?

Thanks for all your help!

Will it make a difference if I swap to ceramic pads? Any recommendations? Would I need to change rotors? Questions questions. This is all very new to me!

New ceramic pads stopped the noises entirely for me. That was 6,000 miles ago, still no noise.

• 10 months later...

Hi 3Ball,

I realise that it has been many months, however I am yet to fully address this problem.

I initially decided to live with it, however since the pad need replacing, now seems like an opportune time to consider switching to ceramics.

Have you had any further problems beyond the 6000 miles?

Thanks in advance!

I had the exact same problem on my CS. I'm pretty confident that it's coming from my rears only. I replaced my pads (Pagid), rotors (zimmerman), bought the new pad retaining HW kits, and did the anti-squeel stuff on the back of the pads. After several hundred dollars none of it works. I'm thinking that ceramic pads are the only answer...that's my next plan.

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I'm new to this forum , and have recently picked up a 2009 Cayenne Turbo.

It was fitted with brand new discs anmd pads all round, and It too squeals like a train coming in to the station at low speeds, and like other people I'm tired at being stared at by pedestrians/other road users etc.

I see a lot of solutions, and promises to come back with results of anti squeal gel, cleaning, ceramic pads etc....

The Dealer has told me "to do a few emergency stops to sort it out.... as Turbo brakes need to be used to sort out the squealing"

After reading this forum, and seeing the reason of resonance, I think the dealer might have been trying to fob me off....

Has anyone got any ideas?

Or results from Ceramic pads? Would these be available from the dealer? Are they a Porsche Part?

Cheers

Jason

hey seagod !

could you please tell us which brand and class?

I tried some ceramicbrake pads from Duralast (AutoZone) into one of my SUV's (montero sport) and they're dusty...I guess it was Duralast gold or something like that,..,supposedly those are closest to best thing in the market...

I'm planning to replace the pads into my 06 CS veeery soon !

thanks in advance!