Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Octane booster additives

My 04 Boxster runs great on the 91 octane fuel that is available, I can't seem to find the recommended 93 octane anywhere.

My question is, am I hurting performance by not adding an octane additive upon filling up??

If I should be using it, what brand do the Renntech members like to use?

Thanks for reading!

My 04 Boxster runs great on the 91 octane fuel that is available, I can't seem to find the recommended 93 octane anywhere.

My question is, am I hurting performance by not adding an octane additive upon filling up??

Thanks for reading!

I don’t think you’re hurting anything; otherwise there would be an awful lot of dead Porsches around here. Your engine will adjust.

The only way to get 93 is find a station that sell 100oct unleaded, race fuel (google your area+ race-fuel) and mix with 91 at about 8:2 ratio. In a pinch I’ve added toluene (hardware store). It is already in pump fuel and by itself, is supposedly 112+octane.

Both methods are expensive so if you don’t need to, don’t bother.

Regards, PK

Thanks for reading!

Dude, welcome to the communist state of California!!! You cannot buy 93 octane gas here, anywhere in the state. :angry: I know, it sucks. But your car will survive just fine.

As for octane additives - I personally do NOT trust them to do anything. I'm a scientist. I analyze anything like this that I don't understand or want to understand better. I've looked at a lot of bottles of octane boost and ALL that I have seen basically look like fuel injector cleaner (kerosene). They don't tell you actually how much they will boost octane. In reality it looks more like they help combustion through cleaning the fuel system and injectors - thus giving the same "kind" of effect that you would get from a higher octane fuel (assuming your fuel system is VERY dirty). In reality you're probably better off just running a full tank of Shell V-Power 91 octane or other high quality gas through your car from time to time.

If anyone feels otherwise, PLEASE provide some real evidence to prove me wrong. I would be tickled to find out that this stuff really does something...

Kirk

Thanks for the responses gentlemen, I feel much better.

Kirk, I love the remark about communist California. I have lived in California all my life, and I feel like

that Indian chief who was crying in that old Anti-Pollution commercial when I think how things have digressed here.

How's that for dating myself? :D

PS. I concur with the Shell fuel, my Boxster seems to really like the V-Power 91.