Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

speaker issues

I have the m490 option sound system in an '01 boxster s (dash and door speakers). The right front speaker(s) cut in and out, but not completely. Seems to me that the high or mid-range speaker(s) cut out but the low or bass speaker(s) don't. Can't tell if its the door speaker or dash speaker. I want to check the connections at the speaker and see how to access the dash speakers (2 torx screws) but I don't know how to access the door speakers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

I think the door speakers are mounded under the lower raised panel they appear to be mounted in. You just have look around the parameter of that panel for little black torx head or Phillips head screws.

The speaker itself has it’s own convoluted enclosure behind that panel.

Regards, PK

to access the dash, yes it's just removal of 2 torx screws

to access the door speakers, you need to remove the interior door panel. I'm going from memory, but it includes removing the following AFTER YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON BATTERY (since you are working near the airbag)....

- rear view mirror sail panel

- cover over top of door pull

- torx screw located under cover above

- c clip in door grab bar

- torx screw under clip above

- plastic cover that says 'airbag' on it (w/ fish line or carefully w/ a screwdriver

- allen screw under cover above

- plastic philips screw inside door pocket w/ anchor

Then you can pop the 8 or so trim plugs attached to the door panel holding it to the door. Specific directions can be found in Andy_M's guide in the DIY section on upgrading the Boxsters sound system or you can get it from the Boxster Wiki Here

Edited by Cassiebox

to access the dash, yes it's just removal of 2 torx screws

to access the door speakers, you need to remove the interior door panel. I'm going from memory, but it includes removing the following AFTER YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON BATTERY (since you are working near the airbag)....

- rear view mirror sail panel

- cover over top of door pull

- torx screw located under cover above

- c clip in door grab bar

- torx screw under clip above

- plastic cover that says 'airbag' on it (w/ fish line or carefully w/ a screwdriver

- allen screw under cover above

- plastic philips screw inside door pocket w/ anchor

Then you can pop the 8 or so trim plugs attached to the door panel holding it to the door. Specific directions can be found in Andy_M's guide in the DIY section on upgrading the Boxsters sound system or you can get it from the Boxster Wiki Here

Thanks for the info...had a look at the dash speaker and it seems fine...don't think the door speaker is the problem as it doesn't seem to cut in and out. Any chancw its an amplfier problem?

I would pull the HU and check the wiring harness as well. It's easy enough to do. You may find a loose connection. If the connections at the dash speakers are good and the doors aren't cutting out then the only other connection points are the HU and the amp. You can pull out the wiring harness behind the HU pretty easily.

Is it the stock head unit?

Edited by CA_Boxster

Thanks for the info...had a look at the dash speaker and it seems fine...don't think the door speaker is the problem as it doesn't seem to cut in and out. Any chancw its an amplfier problem?

I would pull the HU and check the wiring harness as well. It's easy enough to do. You may find a loose connection. If the connections at the dash speakers are good and the doors aren't cutting out then the only other connection points are the HU and the amp. You can pull out the wiring harness behind the HU pretty easily.

Yes, stock H/U...CDR220. Ihave pulled out the H/U and replaced it with one I bought on ebay...both exhibit the same issue. Also, had a look at the amp and all the connections seem fine. Goint to keep my eyes open for an amp on ebay. Who knows!!

Yes, stock H/U...CDR220. Ihave pulled out the H/U and replaced it with one I bought on ebay...both exhibit the same issue. Also, had a look at the amp and all the connections seem fine. Goint to keep my eyes open for an amp on ebay. Who knows!!

You may be able to run the dash speakers directly off the new HU.

You may be able to run the dash speakers directly off the new HU.

Actually, you can do that now to test the speaker as the stock h/u has a built in amplifier. It's only 18W, but you could easily run a jumper cable from the h/u to the speaker to test it. If the right still cuts out, it's a speaker issue. IIRC, the amplified pins on the CDR220 are (all are in Socket B on the back of the h/u):

b1 = rr +

b2 = rr -

b3 = fr +

b4 = fr -

b5 = fl +

b6 = fl -

b7 = rl +

b8 = rl -

This could also be done to isolate the issue to the amp (run a jumper wire from the right speaker plug to the left speaker and vice versa). If the left now cuts out it's an amp issue.

In case you need the manual, you download it from Becker's site here

I have the m490 option sound system in an '01 boxster s (dash and door speakers). The right front speaker(s) cut in and out, but not completely. Seems to me that the high or mid-range speaker(s) cut out but the low or bass speaker(s) don't. Can't tell if its the door speaker or dash speaker. I want to check the connections at the speaker and see how to access the dash speakers (2 torx screws) but I don't know how to access the door speakers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

For what it is worth, I have the same year S and HAD the same radio configuration with the exact same problem. Upon inspection (over and over), I found nothing. Finally, I took the opportunity/excuse to replace my headunit, dash and door speakers, along with the amp. I ended up replacing the dash with Polk Audios, and putting 8" subs in the doors. :-\