Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire noise queery

986fan

I have a 2001 Boxter S and am considering buying an '09....but Boxter or Cayman?

When I have the top up on my Boxter......even with new tires (good ones).....I have a

degree of tire noise.

Is the Cayman going to be quiet or am I going to have rear tire noise all of the time?

I have a 2001 Boxter S and am considering buying an '09....but Boxter or Cayman?

When I have the top up on my Boxter......even with new tires (good ones).....I have a

degree of tire noise.

Is the Cayman going to be quiet or am I going to have rear tire noise all of the time?

You might have a bad wheel bearing. The sound is very similar to tire noise. I have had dealer service techs repeatedly dismiss wheel bearing noise as tire noise. When I pointed out that the noise was the same before and after replacing the tires they took the trouble to check and identified the bad bearings - noise gone.

It's the tires.......Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position.....NO wear issues.

When I first replaced them it was quiet for the first few hundred miles........and you

don't hear it if it's warm and the top is down.

Cold fall weather......top up......radio off......first 20 miles driven - very noticable.

I'm a certified GM and Toyota service manager........I know how to diagnose a bad

wheel bearing........That's not what it is.

Original tires (taken off at 8300 miles (because they were 6 years old) also looked PERFECT

but would drive you out of the car with top-up noise.....again, much worse when cold.

Edited by 986fan

• 2 weeks later...
It's the tires.......Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position.....NO wear issues.

When I first replaced them it was quiet for the first few hundred miles........and you

don't hear it if it's warm and the top is down.

Cold fall weather......top up......radio off......first 20 miles driven - very noticable.

I'm a certified GM and Toyota service manager........I know how to diagnose a bad

wheel bearing........That's not what it is.

Original tires (taken off at 8300 miles (because they were 6 years old) also looked PERFECT

but would drive you out of the car with top-up noise.....again, much worse when cold.

I don't have the Pole Position's but rather the regular RE050A's (18" on stock wheels)... I bought this combination as an upgrade from the stock 17" Michelin PS2's.

At first, driving top down, I didn't notice any significant noise, but with the top up it does sound like a wheel bearing noise, quite loud as you say. When I was shopping for a set of tires/wheels I was hoping to find a 18" set with the PS2's but the price and condition of the Cayman S wheels with factory installed RE050A's was too good to pass up, now I wish I would have waited for a set with a different brand of tire (the noise is that noticable).

I have been very happy with the Michelin PS2's, I would either go with them or try the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric if/when I replace the tires.

Oh yeah, as for Boxster versus Cayman... my vote is for the Boxster! ;)

Edited by Westcoaster

• 5 months later...
You might have a bad wheel bearing. The sound is very similar to tire noise........

Kevin......I think you are probably right........ :unsure:

After sitting all winter the noise is worse. I bought a brand new set of 19" wheels and tires

and the noise seemed a little less for about 5 miles......then I accelerated hard through 2nd

gear. The noise was the worst ever.

Tommorrow I am dropping the car off at my region's tech representative's shop to have

both rear wheel bearings replaced (at 1/2 the price quoted by a dealer). He explained

that it is dificult to discern side-to-side noise due to the bearing loads and camber here.

I will report back this weekend.....weather permitting.

Thanks, John

RUFWHEELS013-2.jpg

Are those RUF wheels?

They are Italian knockoffs...........19x8.5 & 19x10 with 225/35-19 frt & 265/30-19 rear..........I contacted the seller and he

accepted $1900.00 complete with tires and painted caps, shipped.....(quickly enough that you might try offering $1800.00).

Great service and quality........I would buy from them again. Here they are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Porsche-...sQ5fAccessories

RUFWHEELS028.jpg

Edited by 986fan

You might have a bad wheel bearing. The sound is very similar to tire noise........

I will report back this weekend.....weather permitting.

Yup.....you were right Kevin.....Car looks like new and just turned over 13k but the grease in the RR

wheel bearing looked like old dried-up shoe polish. Nice and quiet now. Thank you.

Edited by 986fan

I had the same thing a few years back on my 2002 boxster S. I thought it needed new tires and it did. However, it was the right back wheel bearing going out.

I'm running Ps2, only 5000 miles on them and had them rotated today. Any pros and cons if rotation side to side is worth it or not?

Thanks,

• Moderators

Porsche approved and coded tyres have a rotation direction and/or inside-outside indication and can not be rotated left/right, beside that the front and rear tyres have different dimensions and can not be rotated front-rear as well.

Porsche approved and coded tyres have a rotation direction and/or inside-outside indication and can not be rotated left/right, beside that the front and rear tyres have different dimensions and can not be rotated front-rear as well.

That is why I was wondering if side to side is ok. I know front to back is out of the question but on an inside-outside tire would it hurt to rotate side to side? I suppose another thing is the tire is now turning the opposite direction in a side to side rotation.