Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermittent Problems with the roof

Hi guys, I wonder if you could shed any light on the following problem:

Sometimes (most of the time), the roof simply fails to operate. This can be whether it is in the up or down position. Nothing happens when i press the button, no noises clicks or anything else. Sometimes driving around for about 10 minutes and then trying again seems to fix it. This seems to be happening more and more! any ideas?

There are some better sources for help in this site, but here are some comments that could help. These apply to a 98 and I believe are appropriate for other years.

As you probably know the top will not operate until, the ignition is on, the parking brake is engaged and the latch is open. There are some other rules like the speedometer signal can’t be greater than 5 km/h – not clear how this would happen if the parking brake is engaged.

The most common problems appear to be a defective microswitch in the parking brake, a defective microswitch in the latch and a problem with the relay. These are covered in earlier issues in this site.

As a quick check you could try the following. If the windows drop when the latch is opened, the latch switch is probably ok. If the parking brake light goes on when you engage the brake, the parking brake switch is probably ok. This would leave the problem with the relay. Earlier post indicate if you remove the relay and then give it to a dog, an active child or roll it on the floor and plug it back in it works – must be something loose in the relay.

Good luck.

• Moderators

In order to make the roof move the car needs to think the hand brake is on. That is done via an electrical switch on the brake lever when it is pulled up.

The switch was crappy on the early cars, and a new style switch came out a few years ago.

When the top does not work. Start the car and pull up on the brake lever. If you do not see the hand brake warning light in the instrument cluster go on then that is the problem.

Thanks Guys,

I have tried the handbrake and the light seems to work ok. Also it seems like the switch is ok because the windows go down when i press it. So that leaves the relay - where is this and how do i remove it? apologies for my ignorance, but i only gor the car last week!

many thanks

Nick

Edited by npfx