Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

max allowed tire size error ?

I assume that since PSM, ABS, etc. look at relative rate of rotation of front and back wheels there must be a tolerance in the matching of front to rear tire circumferences.

Eg. my Boxster-S has the OEM 235/40-18 on front and 265/40-18 on the back - these work out to 2027 mm and 2102 mm circumference respectively. I've seen various recommendations for R-cmpd alternatives (245/40-18

& 275/40-18) seem to be a common setup - both end up being about 1.2% larger - but Mich PSC's are not available in the 275/40 so still looking at other options.

How much mismatch from the OEM sizes are allowed before PSM, ABS, etc. are messed up ? I suppose in theory its the mismatch of the ratio of front to back - not the absolute sizes - that will mess things up - but not sure.

The car is balanced with the tyre options it has from the factory , fitting larger tyres will cost more and give little benefit. Its generally recognised that slick tyres on a 987 can lead to issues with oil surge on the circuit , so again its probably going to give more problems than benefits. I dont think the front to rear ratios are as much of an issue to the ABS/ ESP as the differences across the same axle. The rolling radius is different between a 2.7 and 3.2 and 3.2 with 19" wheels. There are many cases of people fitting 19" wheels to a 2.7 without issue, so I dont think you will have many if any problems.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd love to keep the factory sizes, but they are not available on the R-comps and I just want to ensure that if I go this route, I won't have any ABS / PSM surprises. The issue you mentioned about oil starvation is not something I had heard about on this car. Can you provide any links to more info on that ?

Edited by acadian_dad