Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aircon vent in the dashboard

Flying V

Hi guys!

Recently I brought in my car to the local dealer to get the aircon vent in the dashboard fixed in my MK1. Even if the vent is closed, air still comes out from the said vents causing the windshield to fog especially when raining. I know it was not like that before. Unfortunately I've been getting into an argument with service guy since they say it's natural to have "minimal" air coming out of the dash. FYI, recently the foam from the a/c system has been blowing out of the vents and I assume this is one possible cause of the air leak in the dash...which I've been telling them that they need to "refoam" the system which will seal the air leaks. According to them they this already to the housing of the evaporator. Besides the evaporator, should they do refoaming work in the other parts of the a/c system? Which part of the a/c system is foam used on? I'm asking this because I want to visualize how do things look from the other end....

Frankly it's quite frustrating since they can't solve the problem and they just say "it's normal!" :o

If you guys have any inputs, or feel the problem is caused by something else, I would greatly appreciate it.

Godspeed!

V

• Moderators

Hi V.... Sounds like you and the dealer have some disagreements. Again, the US didn't get the Mk I, but, the HVAC system must be the same as that of the normal 996 of those years. I can't address all your issues about where sealing foam might exist. I can, though, confirm the dealer's assertion that some amount of air will always come through the system. All HVAC systems on most all cars do that these days.....probably because designers agree that the occupants need at least some fresh, outside air no matter what the HVAC settings. When you say the 'center vent', do you mean the vent on top of the dash at the base of the windshield?......or the center vent on the dash above the radio? If it's the windshield vent, the system will probably put out some amount of air to that vent no matter your settings. Also, If you leave the AC on, (snowflake symbol appears on the display), the AC will dehumidify all the cabin air, minimizing fogging of the windshield.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the quick reply and the inputs. You learn something new everyday! :D

Yes, the air is leaking from the vents near the base of the windshield.

It's timely that there are German technicians (from Porsche Germany) that just arrives in our local dealer doing thier regular visit. They are personally evaluating the situation to see if its normal. Will keep you posted.

Godspeed!

V

Their visit is a stoke of luck for you, V. Let us know what they say.

Guess I was right...there was something wrong. I recieved a call from my dealer today to update me on my car. Apparently besides the flaps were not properly alligned, it seems a flap has warped causing some air to abnormally leak between the gaps even if the whindshield vent is shut-off.

Finally! .... The car has been in the shop for abit more than a month now and I'm just so eager to drive it and have some fun! Trackday this weekend!

Godspeed!

:D