Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CD Changer & Door Lock not working - no power

Hi guys,

i just picked up my 97 Boxster from the body shop, where they did a paintjob on the drivers door. Therefore, they had to take off the door lock handle. I removed the door panel when i delivered the car, so they only had to take away the two nuts to remove the handle. But it looks like they did a little bit more work to the door lock.

No while i´m at home and wanted to lock the door with the key (i don´t have a remote at the moment, but i have the M535 central locking unit), it is not working. I can turn the key in both directions but there is no "klicking".

I also noticced, that the CDC 3 cd changer in the front trunk has no power, because i can not load cds or take out the magazin. They disconected the battery while working on the car. Does anybody know what to do now? The body shop is closed and i checked the fuses for the central locking unit and radio but they where all good. But i could not find a fuse for the cd changer. Looks like this is a power/fuse problem...!?

I also found a piece of metal (grey iron) inside the door. It looks like it´s broken away from a bigger part, about 2 inches long, looks like a little "boat paddle". L1 is written on it. Could this part been broken away from the door lock or maybe its still inside the door from a former repair?

Thanks, Simon

Edited by Simon2

When i look at the door handle from the inside, there are two wires on the right side of the handle. I think they belong to the window switch, because when i lift up the handle, the window goes down a little bit. Does anybody has a picture of the inside door lock? Where are the wires connected to the door lock, where the signal goes from when i turn the key?

What about the fuses and why is the cd charger not working anymore? Couldn´t these two problems belog to the same technical problem - broken fuse or whatever?

post-35789-1226697065_thumb.jpg

So when i turn the key, the paddle (broken away from the red circle) turns something inside the door lock and this gets a signal to the central locking unit. Am i wright - more or less...? So do i need a need door lock, could i use my old key?

• Moderators

1) You are right

2) Lock cylinders ordered with VIN# ( without VIN# is a complete lock set ) can use the old key, i'm not sure if the cylinder is available separately or as unit with the handle.

I visited my friendly Porsche dealer this morning. They don´t sell the "paddle" itself, even if you can easiliy remove it. The hole lock/handle is for sale only - 260 EUR...

Somebody told me, the paddle will also be used in some Volkswagon models, but he didn´t know on which one. So i ( and the body repair shop) have to look for a used part.

I solved the problem saturday evening. :rolleyes:

I took a bolt which had nearly the sice of the paddle, cut one end so that it would fit in the key look, drilled a little hole in it, and weldet a piece of metal on the other side and grinded it to the form and sice of the paddle. Believe it or not - it fits and works perfectly. I tried to get a use part on the internet, but there were no door handles available.

The CD charger is also working again. I disconnected the battery to work at the door lock. And when i connected it again, the cd charger was reactivated for what reason ever!

Thanks to Juniinc and RFM for you kind help!

Simon2

Edited by Simon2