Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM automatically shuts down

Hi, This morning when I drove my 4s I saw a message on my PCM saying it was shutting down as a safety setting because of the temperature. I turned it back on and it worked fine. This evening I got the same message but now it kept on turning off. Tried 20 times, but everytime I got the temperature message and then seeing the PCM turn off.

Any clues? It is a 2005 model and I just put in a new battery (don't think that there is a correlation between the PCM and the battery, but you never know).

Best regards, frank

Contact your dealer, there is something wrong with the PCM.

This is what I was affraid of. To be honest, I am slightly affraid that the dealer will suggest to replace the PCM by default, where for instance the fan of the disk reader is broken. I had for instance a broken trun signal sound on my wives Cayenne. The dealer suggested to replace the complete cluster for ''only'' 1800 euro's. I did this myself... took out the cluster, opened it and replaced the speaker. This did the trick for only 3 euro's.

Thanks for the reply, frank

• 2 months later...

It turned out to be the incorrect DVD! I tried to use the 2004 DVD in the PCM with 2005 software. This leads to the error: PCM is overheating! Dealer advised me incorrectly to replace the PCM!

Frank

I found something in the TSB's which looks like my problem: TSB 9112.

Unfortunately all my DVD's are of the 2004 range. I will drive by the dealer and see whether they can do the trick.

Thanks, frank

It turned out to be the incorrect DVD! I tried to use the 2004 DVD in the PCM with 2005 software. This leads to the error: PCM is overheating! Dealer advised me incorrectly to replace the PCM!

Frank

I found something in the TSB's which looks like my problem: TSB 9112.

Unfortunately all my DVD's are of the 2004 range. I will drive by the dealer and see whether they can do the trick.

Thanks, frank

Good to hear that it was just the DVD version.

This is another example of the chaos and confusion Porsche has designed into the PCM 2.1. I wonder if Porsche does this intentionally or do they just lack the ability to test and document the progression of their product.

In any event I'm sure you're glad it was just an incorrect disc and not a defective PCM unit ($$$$$).

This is why I don't even WANNA know how to program the thing! And updating it? Not a chance! I'll occasionally use the map, but Ol' Cousin Weak Eyes here can have difficulty trying to read the itty-bitty text. I'll get my directions from Mapquest or the AAA thenkyouveddymuch.

Cannot say I understand the reasoning behind specifying navigation as a costly option if you don't intend to keep the maps updated. Technology scares some people so I can understand self updating of the PCM and maps may not be something many would want to try. If your pockets are deep enough leave it to the dealer.

Cannot say I understand the reasoning behind specifying navigation as a costly option if you don't intend to keep the maps updated.

I bought my car used, so I didn't specify the option. When I read the long and arcane procedure to punch a destination into the PCM, I decided it wasn't worth my time. Personally, I think all navigation systems are the "TruCoat" of the 21st century. Perhaps if programming and updating were simplified, and the maps were projected onto a head-up display, I'd see them as more practical and useful.