Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Throwout Bearing or Clutch?

Did a few searches here and came up empty handed thus far...either that or I am in denial. :o

Anyway, here is the scenario:

A little history:

1999 996 C2 6-speed

currently at 78k miles

5-6 track days (DE), few high speed trips, plenty of road trips. :P

one previous engine/clutch replacement at 25k miles ;)

The engagment point of which you feel the clutch grab on - is usually in the middle area when depressing the clutch pedal. Seemed like from one day to the next, the clutch doesn't grab until the pedal is near the top (my foot nearly completely off the clutch pedal). I tried the hard acceleration 'trick' to see if my clutch was gone, but there was no slippage, clutch held and the car pulled hard as usual. If I push the clutch pedal in about 2-3 inches, it vibrates pretty good (enough to cause my pant to tickle my leg). When it is all the way up - no vibration, all the way down - hardly any vibration.

Local Porsche wrench expert says may be the throwout bearing. We think the RMS leaks <_< (I think that's what we saw), but yet not enough to drip a single spot on my garage floor. We jsut did a full bleed on the brakes not three weeks ago, but previous searches here tell me that the reservoir to the brake and clutch fluids are not shared. I haven't bled the clutch fluid yet...mostly because I can't figure out where to add more fluid in yet. I found posts here on how to get the bubbles out, but none tell how to add more fluid back into the system.

Any takers?

Did a few searches here and came up empty handed thus far...either that or I am in denial. :o

Anyway, here is the scenario:

A little history:

1999 996 C2 6-speed

currently at 78k miles

5-6 track days (DE), few high speed trips, plenty of road trips. :P

one previous engine/clutch replacement at 25k miles ;)

The engagment point of which you feel the clutch grab on - is usually in the middle area when depressing the clutch pedal. Seemed like from one day to the next, the clutch doesn't grab until the pedal is near the top (my foot nearly completely off the clutch pedal). I tried the hard acceleration 'trick' to see if my clutch was gone, but there was no slippage, clutch held and the car pulled hard as usual. If I push the clutch pedal in about 2-3 inches, it vibrates pretty good (enough to cause my pant to tickle my leg). When it is all the way up - no vibration, all the way down - hardly any vibration.

Local Porsche wrench expert says may be the throwout bearing. We think the RMS leaks <_< (I think that's what we saw), but yet not enough to drip a single spot on my garage floor. We jsut did a full bleed on the brakes not three weeks ago, but previous searches here tell me that the reservoir to the brake and clutch fluids are not shared. I haven't bled the clutch fluid yet...mostly because I can't figure out where to add more fluid in yet. I found posts here on how to get the bubbles out, but none tell how to add more fluid back into the system.

Any takers?

Brake and clutch fluid are the same. Same reservoir.

What could be causing the vibration in the clutch pedal do you think? And if the bubbles in the clutch fluid have the opposite effect, what harm could bubbles in your clutch be? I am going to bleed the bubbles from clutch next weekend and see what happens then. I guess in the meantime, is there an available parts listing for pulling the motor that anyone has available. This is going to be one of those "might as well do it while the tranny is out" kinda things.

What could be causing the vibration in the clutch pedal do you think? And if the bubbles in the clutch fluid have the opposite effect, what harm could bubbles in your clutch be? I am going to bleed the bubbles from clutch next weekend and see what happens then. I guess in the meantime, is there an available parts listing for pulling the motor that anyone has available. This is going to be one of those "might as well do it while the tranny is out" kinda things.

Air in the hydraulic system will make any vibration more pronounced in the pedal. Remove the air and see if it gets better. It won't eliminate the cause of the vibration, but you may find that the vibration is within specs and is no longer felt in the pedal.