Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Stereo Install (pics)

Car: 08 Porsche Carerra

HU: Kenwood DNX8120 w/ipod

Amp: Alpine PDX4.150

Speakers: OEM

Customer came to me looking to put a navi in his non nav car that would control his ipod and have bluetooth. He had OEM bluetooth and ipod and both were garbage, porsche wanted about 4g to put OEM nav in but would have same garbage ipod and bluetooth

He went with the 8120 as its got everything he wanted all in one unit. Went with a pdx4.150 for its small size and upgrade capabilities in the future. Had to do an amp as OEM amp is fiber optic. Decided to stick with OEM speakers for time being and upgrade in future. What a solid car this is everything fits together so tight and snug. After some research we found a dash kit that appears to be used on the Jap import models or so we were told. Wasnt cheap but looks OEM.

PB080066.jpg

The ride

PB080064.jpg

PB080057.jpg

PB080059.jpg

The unit all installed and setup. Navi antenna is up by mirror looks stock

PB080058.jpg

bluetooth mic

PB080048.jpg

nice bein small gives me room to work and wire

PB080049.jpg

PB080051.jpg

Now ya see it, now ya dont. Amp is basically 100% hidden, mounted where OEM amp is and only pushed panel out slightly

As for a review the DNX8120 is basically a killer unit. Having the multiband EQ was nice was able to make the OEM speakers actually sound really good. Having USB, ipod, and bluetooth all in one piece is nice. Ipod was routed into glovebox, oem ipod was in center counsle but without extensive modding it just wasnt going to happen. USB is hidden next to the counsle on the side.

The PDX made for a great install in the OEM amp location, ran some rcas out front, and literally picked up all the speaker wires right at OEM amp.

Questions, comments

Nice looking unit and install. Does it affect any of the computer functions on the instrument cluster? Can you provide a ballpark price for this conversion?

no issues at all, my UNDERSTANDING is that if you have factory nav then it can mess with something as factory nav has some sort of control over something in the car im not positive

http://www.contactnavigation.net/product/1 this trim piece is not cheap but fits like OEM and well worth it, also includes antenna adapter and harness

You can use the double din receiver of your choice he choose 8120 which is pricey. Plan on 600-1200 depending on what you want and what features. I install for a living and I hands down recommend a kenwood dnx5120,7120, or 8120

Assuming you have a 997 you can not use the factory amp as its fiberoptic you can use the built in amp of the radio but will prly not sound great. Any 4 channel amp will work my customer went with pdx 4.150 for its small size. A pdx4.100 would also work great but any 4 channel amp will work, I have used cheap 150 dollar pioneer 4 channels and got same results as the OEM speakers do not need lots of power

Feel free to ask any questions gregttemple@gmail.com or post up, i am always willing to lend information to anyone as most installers no nothign about these cars

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing and looks great! I thing I'd like to do is get rid of the "----------" in the middle of the gauge where the trip computer and nav info used to display (center gauge behind steering wheel). Did you get rid of that?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Where do you breach the passenger compartment to run the RCA and speaker leads into the trunk area to the amp? - I just purchased a 2006 that had an install, but had been removed, and I can't find where the wiring was previously ran.