Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Muffler Install for the 997

Muffler Install for the 997

The following is a DIY Muffler Install for the 997. Very similar to the 996, but details might not be obvious or posted. Here I will key off what is known already about the 996, and will assume reasonable shade tree mechanic ability. First, I refer to the fine threads: Removal of the rear bumper cover and muffler: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16935 996 sport exhaust and bypass pipe install: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p=6entry6 Here are some items to

The following is a DIY Muffler Install for the 997. Very similar to the 996, but details might not be obvious or posted. Here I will key off what is known already about the 996, and will assume reasonable shade tree mechanic ability.

First, I refer to the fine threads:

Removal of the rear bumper cover and muffler:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16935

996 sport exhaust and bypass pipe install:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p=6entry6

Here are some items to consider and watch out for:

1) Find a safe stable way to jack up the car with fail-safe in case of jack failure.

2) Remove rear wheels - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with them off

3) Remove rear bumper cover - Remove rear tail lights to access a lone hidden torx screw and see 1 torx in wheel well, in addition to the other obvious screws under the engine lid and under the car - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with the cover off

4) Remove heat shields to access the mufflers - see my pics below, the fasteners are very obvious

5) To remove and re-install new mufflers, follow the above threads......

6) I used WD-40 soak on muffler fasteners prior to removal and fused aluminum anti-seize compond to lube up muffler joints for install.

7) I found that a ratchet with a pivoting head and just the socket was more useful and easier than a ratchet a universal joint and extension and socket.

Here are some pictures which may help:

Torx behind tail light for bumper cover removal:

torxbehindheadlightforrwl7.th.jpg

Torx in wheel well for bumper cover removal:

torxscrewinwheelwellfortp6.th.jpg

Exhaust shield that needs to be removed:

shieldinplacees0.th.jpg

Exhaust shield after removal:

shieldandmufflercx7.th.jpg

Nice article Josh. What did you install PSE?

Hello Larry,

I was fortunate enough to get a deal on a set of Tubis- wow, they sound great, no drone.

Regards,

Josh

The following is a DIY Muffler Install for the 997. Very similar to the 996, but details might not be obvious or posted. Here I will key off what is known already about the 996, and will assume reasonable shade tree mechanic ability.

First, I refer to the fine threads:

Removal of the rear bumper cover and muffler:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16935

996 sport exhaust and bypass pipe install:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p=6entry6

Here are some items to consider and watch out for:

1) Find a safe stable way to jack up the car with fail-safe in case of jack failure.

2) Remove rear wheels - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with them off

3) Remove rear bumper cover - Remove rear tail lights to access a lone hidden torx screw and see 1 torx in wheel well, in addition to the other obvious screws under the engine lid and under the car - it is alot easier to remove and install the mufflers with the cover off

4) Remove heat shields to access the mufflers - see my pics below, the fasteners are very obvious

5) To remove and re-install new mufflers, follow the above threads......

6) I used WD-40 soak on muffler fasteners prior to removal and fused aluminum anti-seize compond to lube up muffler joints for install.

7) I found that a ratchet with a pivoting head and just the socket was more useful and easier than a ratchet a universal joint and extension and socket.

Here are some pictures which may help:

Torx behind tail light for bumper cover removal:

torxbehindheadlightforrwl7.th.jpg

Torx in wheel well for bumper cover removal:

torxscrewinwheelwellfortp6.th.jpg

Exhaust shield that needs to be removed:

shieldinplacees0.th.jpg

Exhaust shield after removal:

shieldandmufflercx7.th.jpg

Nice article Josh. What did you install PSE?

• 3 months later...

Hi great write up,

I was reading somewhere you could remove the stock mufflers w/o removing the rear cover. This will be a one man job unfortunately, I read you could use ramps on the rears and remove only the brace, possible?

Thanks

Installing AWE mufflers only no cats or headers. 2006 911s 6speed

Thanks

Hi great write up,

I was reading somewhere you could remove the stock mufflers w/o removing the rear cover. This will be a one man job unfortunately, I read you could use ramps on the rears and remove only the brace, possible?

Thanks

Installing AWE mufflers only no cats or headers. 2006 911s 6speed

Thanks

You don't need to remove bumper cover to remove and install mufflers...just an FYI..

I installed my whole exhaust system (headers, mufflers and cats) in 3.5 hrs. with the car backed up on thick phone books. You don't need to remove the bumper cover nor the wheels.

Dave

Edited by Dave07997S

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...