Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Order goes in tomorrow (C2S, Silver, Sport PASM / LSD, Heated Sport Seats, Fire Extinguisher, black dials, no badge, carpet mats), so I want to start a thread outlining the typical "DE oriented" specifications / updates.

I understand the 2009 Sport PASM / LSD springs are shorter and stiffer, which is a good thing. Also that the valving / software is updated based on what Porsche learned from PASM 1, the GT3, and the latest GT2 suspensions. That's also good thing.

The sways are thicker, but does anyone have any specification on them and is it possible the fronts are adjustable? I'm guessing not. Any idea if GT3 sways are a direct fit (they weren't in the 2007 as new drop links were needed). I'm going to stick with stock for a while, but this thread may be a good place to collect this information for everyone.

Here are some updates / mods:

1. Software. Doesn't look like anyone lists software yet for the 2009 DFI engines. Any information on possible gains, product development time lines, etc.?

2. Exhaust. I saw some posts and it looks like many more options than ever before in a 997 - almost like my 964 was. Primary or secondary bypass. In my 2007 C2S, the best-for-me combination was X51 headers, 200 cell, and stock mufflers along with Softronic. Sounded great, gave a little more performance. I'm guessing sound levels of the secondary bypass is going to be high. I once had a full aftermarket header / cat / muffler system, but removed it as it was just too loud for around town. Thoughts / observations from those that have seen / heard the various options?

3. Intake. I tried an alternative intake on my 2007 and sent it back. Was not happy with it and remain concerned about oiled filters (had a fouled MAF in the past on a pre-oiled filter). The dyno charts are promising - anyone have data on a combination of intake and exhaust? Right now I'm leaning toward a primary bypass and intake and would be interested to know what that combination produces for gains.

4. Brake pads - I used to run Yellow 29s up front and Black 14s at the back due to the brake bias. Anyone know how the 2009 with Sport PASM suspension / LSD and PSM's Brake assist and brake system pre-filling. Wondering if the bias is more neutral where you'd get Yellows all around or stick with the Yellow / Black combination? If Bias is improved,then maybe Yellow 29s or PFC 97s all around will be optimal.

5. Alignment. I understand with the new lower suspension we can get upwards of -1.4 degrees of camber. Not enough for track, but much better than the old suspension that maxed out at about -0.8 degrees. Will have to add GT3 control arms to get to -2.5 or so.

6. The new wheels look great and I'm guessing they are pretty light. Still have my 19x8.5 / 19x11 Volks with Cups and 18x9 / 18x12 Fikses with Hoosiers as my wheel / tire choices. Will have to see if the new stiffer and lower suspension likes 18s or 19s better.

Thanks!

Order goes in tomorrow (C2S, Silver, Sport PASM / LSD, Heated Sport Seats, Fire Extinguisher, black dials, no badge, carpet mats), so I want to start a thread outlining the typical "DE oriented" specifications / updates.

I understand the 2009 Sport PASM / LSD springs are shorter and stiffer, which is a good thing. Also that the valving / software is updated based on what Porsche learned from PASM 1, the GT3, and the latest GT2 suspensions. That's also good thing.

The sways are thicker, but does anyone have any specification on them and is it possible the fronts are adjustable? I'm guessing not. Any idea if GT3 sways are a direct fit (they weren't in the 2007 as new drop links were needed). I'm going to stick with stock for a while, but this thread may be a good place to collect this information for everyone.

Here are some updates / mods:

1. Software. Doesn't look like anyone lists software yet for the 2009 DFI engines. Any information on possible gains, product development time lines, etc.?

2. Exhaust. I saw some posts and it looks like many more options than ever before in a 997 - almost like my 964 was. Primary or secondary bypass. In my 2007 C2S, the best-for-me combination was X51 headers, 200 cell, and stock mufflers along with Softronic. Sounded great, gave a little more performance. I'm guessing sound levels of the secondary bypass is going to be high. I once had a full aftermarket header / cat / muffler system, but removed it as it was just too loud for around town. Thoughts / observations from those that have seen / heard the various options?

3. Intake. I tried an alternative intake on my 2007 and sent it back. Was not happy with it and remain concerned about oiled filters (had a fouled MAF in the past on a pre-oiled filter). The dyno charts are promising - anyone have data on a combination of intake and exhaust? Right now I'm leaning toward a primary bypass and intake and would be interested to know what that combination produces for gains.

4. Brake pads - I used to run Yellow 29s up front and Black 14s at the back due to the brake bias. Anyone know how the 2009 with Sport PASM suspension / LSD and PSM's Brake assist and brake system pre-filling. Wondering if the bias is more neutral where you'd get Yellows all around or stick with the Yellow / Black combination? If Bias is improved,then maybe Yellow 29s or PFC 97s all around will be optimal.

5. Alignment. I understand with the new lower suspension we can get upwards of -1.4 degrees of camber. Not enough for track, but much better than the old suspension that maxed out at about -0.8 degrees. Will have to add GT3 control arms to get to -2.5 or so.

6. The new wheels look great and I'm guessing they are pretty light. Still have my 19x8.5 / 19x11 Volks with Cups and 18x9 / 18x12 Fikses with Hoosiers as my wheel / tire choices. Will have to see if the new stiffer and lower suspension likes 18s or 19s better.

Thanks!

Re: Software speak to Scott at Softronic as I believe he has a package for the 997.2 even though his website hasn't been updated yet.

Edited by Nick_USA

I have an email and call into Scott and Dan - I knew they were working on it, just wanted to document any / all information on 997.2 options.

5. Alignment. I understand from Mike here that with the new lower suspension we can get upwards of -1.4 degrees of camber. Not enough for track, but much better than the old suspension that maxed out at about -0.8 degrees. Will have to add GT3 control arms to get to -2.5 or so.

A few I've gathered...

Stock PNA-911--021-09

2009 911 Technical Introduction

$17.50

Has all sorts of technical information. This price at Carlson, more at Suncoast. Shows things like the Spring Rates:

PASM = 188 lbs front 320 rear spring rate (N/mm * 5.710143 = lb/in).

PASM Sport = 206 front 371-543 progressive rear.

Sway up front is the same (24x3.8mm), but rear on Sport is actually thinner (18.5x2.5 vs. 19.6x2.6). That's interesting because Porsche writes that the sways are stiffer, so I wonder... Then again, look at how much more spring rate is at the rear.

I've learned we won't be needing the X51 3rd radiator. These 2009s run much cooler as the water pump is now external to the engine and has a 20% great capacity. Those that have run the 09 on the track report it stays nice and cool.