Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

went for warranty work, found broken part...help!

Went in for some warranty work today and upon receiving vehicle back the paper work stated: found power unit guard,(plastic guard for engine and transmission, two pieces mounted below "power unit") is installed improperly, broken in one spot and several screws missing. some oil residue on drain plug. reinstalled panel correctly.

I had last oil change performed at a local bosch dealer rather than the two hour drive to nearest dealer. guess it was a mistake. should i be concerned about replacing this part? anyone know if its an exspensive piece. dealer mentioned zip tying it together but plan on keeping this car for a while so don't want some cracked part. is the residue on drain plug a big deal? vehicle is an 05 v6. thanks for the help :angry:

I have a 2006 V6 and I've done all my own oil services since I bought it new. I know exactly the part the dealer has pointed out to you. The piece the dealer has pointed out to simply slides in with tabs under the transmission area and then the fasteners need to be installed up to the next plastic shroud section (can't remember...maybe five to seven fasteners). I'm not a huge advocate of any shop performing an oil change on a Porsche unless the shop has been recommended to you by a reliable source.

I would replace the skid plate plastic part...you don't want zip ties holding your skid plate on (skid plate is probably not the correct nomenclature, but that's what I call mine). Based on other under panel parts I've had to replace on my other Porsche's, I would guess that it's a $130.00 or so part...someone on this site will be able to provide you a more accurate price and possibly a part number...or give the dealer a call. I would also give Sunset Porsche a call and see what they can do for you...I would guess they would recommend you buy the part locally due to the shipping cost on an item like this. Worth checking out...

If the dealer wasn't concerned about the oil plug, I wouldn't be either. I'm sure it was probably residual oil. The oil plug on the V6 is tough to get to...you can't get on it with a socket; only a wrench. I always use torque wrenches on my oil plugs...on the V6 Cayenne, I can't do that. I'm sure the dealer put a new washer and installed to the proper torque. I would be more concerned about the oil filter change...hopefully the independent you took the vehicle to changed out your filter...not easy to access and makes a mess unless you're familiar with the oil change process.

You may consider performing your own oil changes (DIY) in the future or make the drive to the dealer...

All the best,

Bill B)

Car is still under warranty but I guess they wouldn't replace since I'd had my last oil change done by a local bosch shop. Want to get this replaced though as I'm planning on keeping vehicle a while

oil change not at Porsche dealer doesnt void warranty. check your warranty booklet. these parts of course are cheap and easy to install yourself (15 min max)

Changed my oil on the V6 yesterday and took a picture of the panel that the dealer is referring to so you'll know what's entailed with replacing it. I've attached the photos.

post-23707-1232927418_thumb.jpg

post-23707-1232927508_thumb.jpg

No Porsche part number on the panel...the panel (skid plate) has an Audi logo with Audi part number 7L8.825.231. Very quick repair for you...probably all of ten minutes. Five (5) torque bit fasteners.

All the best,

Bill B)