Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Difference between upper strut mounts ..stock vs X74?

Besides the price, what is the difference between 996 343 018 04 (stock, $86 list, same part has been replaced with new part number 997 343 018 00 ) and 996 343 980 08 (X74, $181 list) strut "triangles"??? Trying to find out if there is an advantage to use the X74 one with PSS9's BEFORE I install them...

Edited by perryinva

OK, finally got a great answer from Gert, the X74 mount has indeed less & stiffer rubber than stock, and works as a great comromise between stock and monoballs with PSS9s. He's installed PSS9s with both. Another poster on a different board emailed me that he upgraded from USA M030 to X74, and noticed immediately the more robust design of the X74 mount and felt that the difference in the upper mounts accounted for a lot of the steering feel, FWIW. He noticed little if no increase in noise/vibration transmitted to the driver, (of course that may be masked by the the stiffer ride) but then he also didn't have a stock suspension to compare it too. I'm going to go X74, and take good pics of it for future posters.

Edited by perryinva

OK, finally got a great answer from Gert, the X74 mount has indeed less & stiffer rubber than stock, and works as a great comromise between stock and monoballs with PSS9s. He's installed PSS9s with both. Another poster on a different board emailed me that he upgraded from USA M030 to X74, and noticed immediately the more robust design of the X74 mount and felt that the difference in the upper mounts accounted for a lot of the steering feel, FWIW. He noticed little if no increase in noise/vibration transmitted to the driver, (of course that may be masked by the the stiffer ride) but then he also didn't have a stock suspension to compare it too. I'm going to go X74, and take good pics of it for future posters.

if you are going with the x74 please let me know because some stupid guy broke one of the screw of my right upper mount,. if your old one is available for sale I am interested in buying it

thanks

please pm me

I'll be leaving the old ones on the original struts in case I decide to put them back in if I sell the car. You always tend to do better selling the upgrades separately. I may go so far as to assemble the PSS9's with all new parts and just leave the OEM strut assemblies together, if I can get them installed for enough less that it makes up most of the difference...Sorry. But, the stock OEM mounts are cheap from Sunset, like $50, or post inthe wanted sections..a LOT of listers have installed M030 sets and they come with new upper mounts. BTW, I'd be VERY careful driving the car with only 2 studs through the strut tower...one of the reasons I prefer 4 stud designs.

if you are going with the x74 please let me know because some stupid guy broke one of the screw of my right upper mount,. if your old one is available for sale I am interested in buying it

thanks

please pm me