Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windows cannot be raised when top is up!

Windows work great when my 97 boxster's top is down.

Windows can be lowered when top is up, but not raised.

I did get them to raise fully with the old "right turned key in the door lock trick" I learned about a couple of days ago.

But what I want to be able to do is to raise the roof and use the windows lift switches like normal people when I want to ride around in airconditioned comfort.

Is it a faulty switch in the latch area as ToolPants has posted information about, or something else?

BTW - When I try to use the center buttons to lift the windows, you can hear a clicking sound inside the appropriate door, so I know they are trying to do their job, but being disabled somehow.

Problem just started all of a sudden after I've owned the car for two weeks.

re "you can hear a clicking sound inside the appropriate door, so I know they are trying to do their job, but being disabled somehow."

since this is a new car to you, let's review the basics. It doesn't cost anything so if it helps, GREAT :jump: (mine is a 2002 so let's hope it applies)

A short tap on the up button tells the window to go FULL UP or FULL DOWN. Holding the button down tells the window to go up or down until I release. In this case, holding the button down a little extra time to 'make sure it works', ensures it doesn't work.

The full up position is LEARNED after each time the battery is plugged and unplugged. This is done by holding the up button down for a full cycle, continuing to hold down for 3-4 seconds, holding down through a complete cycle, and repeating 2-3 times.

Tool Pants knows his stuff, so if he recommends a window latch switch that is a very likely possibility.

If it were me, I would try to put my windows through a relearning cycle. As I said before, it doesn't cost anything so if it helps, great :clapping: If not, I might just be an idiot :oops:

• Moderators

This is a new one. No clue. I trust you are holding the switches down. Can you repeat this problem over and over. With the key on, handbrake up, and top latched, do the windows drop a few inches when you unlatch the top

I think the microswitch only controls the window drop. Other than that the window motors do not know if the top is up and latched, or the top is down. And the fact they go down but not up and operate properly with the key in the door is strange. I'll ask Peter when he gets back from vacation.

I solved the problem by actually closing the top that last half inch with my left hand FULLY before latching it locked with my right.

I didn't have the "hook" for the top in the hole deep enough and it was latching on the enge of the hole, but not deep enough to depress the switch which seems to have a bunch of purposes:

1) tells the window system its safe to raise windows.

2) turns off dummy light on dash

3) enables the infrared sensors for interior scanning when alarm is activated and top is up.

I think I would have discovered the problem while trying to drive with the top up because it could not have maintained a good air and water seal along the windshield.

Makes me mad though... I should have figured this out right away. :cursing:

Well, at least I can say I now know far more about my car than if I had never had the problem in the first place.

I had exactly the same problem (one of numerous problems with the roof and electrical system as a whole). My window problem was also caused by the top latch not pushing deep enough into the whole to fully depress the switch. I have no idea how this has happened but I have solved it temporarily by inserted a small piece of cardboard into the hole before the latch is closed. This pushes the switch an extra couple of millimetres and enables the windows to be closed. A bodge, i know, but its just a temporary solution before I take it in to Porsche.

I'm not sure if that is the entire problem, but my whole roof has ceased to function at all, and my radio cuts out whenever I press any buttons or press the brake or clutch! It only stops breaking up when I accelerate again. I assume this is probably a low voltage problem or something caused by a faulty device. Have you experienced any of these things?

Well, now that you mention it, I am having two NEW problems. Airconditioning now blows hot air (that's gonna be expensive) and the radio has quit working (no power) even though I replaced the fuse.

I knew owning a 9 year old Porsche was going to be a lot of work to get it in shape. I knew it would cost a lot of money to do it.

What I did NOT know was how mentally consumed I would become with everything that needs to be done to the car, and my unbelievable anxiousness to get the car completely fixed up and running in flawless order YESTERDAY. The wife is already asking me when I will quit taking it to the shop each week... I've had it in every week since buying it four weeks ago.

Ugh.

The window problems are related to the latch switch for the top hook. a new switch is needed there. some other top problems are solved by replacing the top control relay, there has been a few updates to that part.

a lot of your electrical problems can be traced back to the ignition switch- another on going problem. try cycling the key or wiggling it to regain some of the consumers. :beer:

Randall, I know exactly what you mean! I too am almost on the verge of a nervous breakdown after owning my 97 Boxster for 2 months! Unfortunately due to work and holiday engagements I am waiting until the 17th of August to get these problems fixed. And the roof problem reared its head the day after I bought the car! Although I love driving it, I am already contemplating trading it in for a newer 'more reliable' car, such as the Audi TT.

I will wait to see whether my anxiety is eased after I have had the problems fixed. I am not confident or competent enough to attempt repairs myself!

Nick

• 3 years later...
My window problem was also caused by the top latch not pushing deep enough into the whole to fully depress the switch. I have no idea how this has happened but I have solved it temporarily by inserted a small piece of cardboard into the hole before the latch is closed. This pushes the switch an extra couple of millimetres and enables the windows to be closed. A bodge, i know, but its just a temporary solution before I take it in to Porsche.

What was the long term fix for this?