Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 C2 Cab- Steering wheel shake

Okay now that I have my car back I have been driving it quite a bit. I have noticed that at about 65mph I get a shimy in the steering wheel. It goes away at 75 and re occurs after. It's very annoying.....

To start the car has 19 inch rims. I know that the 996 was never really designed to have 19's.

What should I start with? Alignment? The car has 70k on it so I'm sure the bushings are quite worn. In my BMW's it was always the control arm bushings..Is it the same in Porsches? Is there an upgrade if it is the bushings? DIY?

Before I start to tackle this issue I wanted to get some input from any of you that have dealt with a similar problem.

Thanks in advance..

Phillipj

I had a similar issue but it was with the 18" turbo twists. Anyways, it was an annoying shimmy similar to what you describe.

I had the wheels aligned.

I had all the tires rebalanced using road force variation.

I had the suspension and steering inspected by the local Porsche dealership; they took it for a test drive as well - everything checked out as ok and they told me the vibrations were "normal".

I just lived with it for a couple more months, and then when i got new tires viola - vibrations and shimmy gone!

My guess is that it's your tires.

Good Luck,

larez2

Yes I thought about the tires. They are a bit worn but have at least 3 to 5k left on them. I would not like to replace them yet. On my old BMW M3 I had this problem a lot. It would go away when I put new tires on.

The problem was back as soon as the tires would wear the shimy would come back. Which of course meant that the tires were not the root cause of the problem

Interesting that no one has metioned bushings or any mechanical issues.

I guess I will have the Front tires balanced first..

Thanks! :cheers:

• Moderators

Get the 4 wheels balanced if you are there, with a special attention to folded or curved rims, flat spots and roundness (oval) of the tyres. You will have a better overview about the problem IMHO.

Probably threw a weight! Once you get the wheels rebalanced and I assume you are having the rims balanced with stick on weights. If so take some of that metal tape used for home AC systems, and take a small amount and put it over the stick on weights.

to my great disappointed, i picked up a set of new PS2s and one of the front tires was out of round straight from the factory. for such a high performance and expensive street tire, you'd think michelin would have this basic feature of a tire sorted out, but no. i had to get a new one after a couple days worth of wait time to get the car back in motion.

pretty pathetic if you ask me.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to close this topic. I finally got the wheels balanced and that solved 90% of the problem. Control arms look fine so no need to replace there.

One of my rims is slightly bent. I will have that fixed soon. Car is 500% better. :clapping: