Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

picked up the new cayenne today

Hi,

Just picked up my wifes 'new'(10.000 miles 2008 turbo) cayenne and I noticed something strange. When using the throttle very lightly (between 800 and 1300 rpm) there comes a strange 'humming'sound from the front of the car. When the rpm go down it disappears. The dealer told me that this is normal. But my old turbo (2003) does not make this noice. Does this sound familiar? Perhaps the turbo's?

Thanks,

Frank

Hi,

Just picked up my wifes 'new'(10.000 miles 2008 turbo) cayenne and I noticed something strange. When using the throttle very lightly (between 800 and 1300 rpm) there comes a strange 'humming'sound from the front of the car. When the rpm go down it disappears. The dealer told me that this is normal. But my old turbo (2003) does not make this noice. Does this sound familiar? Perhaps the turbo's?

Thanks,

Frank

That is the sweet sound of the TURBO. As you hear that hum, you should see the boost gauge move higher. I love that humming!!

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Don't want to sound too unthankful, but I am talking about 800-1300 rpm's. In this area my turbo gauge is not moving at all, so my guess is that it is not the turbo?

Frank

Hi,

Thanks,

Frank

That is the sweet sound of the TURBO. As you hear that hum, you should see the boost gauge move higher. I love that humming!!

• Moderators

Probably the tandem (double action power steering/PDCC)) hydraulic pump, this is a common issue. Check the Pentosin level in the power steering tank, on the left rear side of the engine room (the usual place), and the Pentosin level in the PDCC tank under the black plastic trim behind the power steering tank (not visible with the trim in place).

If the levels are OK, contact OPC to take a look, it is not recommended to replace the pump by yourself without correct instructions.

Hi RFM,

Thanks for the reply. I will try to check the fluid levels. Car was just serviced, so I would be surprised if this is the case. But you'll never know. Just checking: the sound/feeling also occurs when the car is in neutral with a bit of throttle and no steering action?

Regards, frank

Probably the tandem (double action power steering/PDCC)) hydraulic pump, this is a common issue. Check the Pentosin level in the power steering tank, on the left rear side of the engine room (the usual place), and the Pentosin level in the PDCC tank under the black plastic trim behind the power steering tank (not visible with the trim in place).

If the levels are OK, contact OPC to take a look, it is not recommended to replace the pump by yourself without correct instructions.

Hi,

Drove by the dealer today and they said that it was a normal noice. It is the PDCC pump that is 'building pressure". They told me that all the PDCC cayennes make this noice. Fluid levels were fine as well Still slightly surprised, but on the other hand....happy that the car is not broken.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank

Will do so tomorrow.

Thanks and I will post the result

I would just take it in for the warranty repair.