Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'09 GTS PCM3 Periodic Reboot

Having driven the new pepper for almost 3 months now, aside from all the fun it brought, the PCM3 bugs me a lot lately.

It started about 3 weeks ago. After driving for about 20 minutes while navigating and playing a MP3 DVD, the PCM3 screen went black, and a second later, the Porsche logo showed up, just like when it was just switched on. The screen at center of the center dial refreshed too. After the PCM3 completed the boot cycle, it started by playing previously played songs (1 to 3 songs back). The destination set in the navi was still in effect, and the route was recalculated. About 15 to 20 minutes later, PCM3 did the same thing again, and it repeated for 3 more times. Each was 15 to 20 minutes driving time apart. The reason why I said "driving time" was because restarting the vehicle could not solve the problem. In fact, the vehicle was turned off once for at least 10 minutes before the engine was started again, but the last two reboot cycles occurred after the restart of the vehicle (yes, the key was pulled out for ten minutes).

The above was the first night the issue appeared. However, it went away for about 2 weeks, and came back to haunt me once last week, and that time, both the navi and the music was off. I thought it would be rather rare, but after it happened twice today, I realized it could be more serious than I imagined.

Has anyone here experienced the same or similar issue? If so, what did your dealers have to say? Please share, as I was the first one to report it to my dealer who had no idea what may had caused it.

post-7539-1238122333_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlienGG

• 6 months later...

I now have the same (maybe i always had it but didnt play DVD). it only happens when DVD is played that is the only consistent factor that I can identify. I have DVD recorded with mp3.

Edited by SA321

Many reports of this. Known issue, revised software was promised I dont know if its been delivered yet

i now have the same (maybe i always had it but didnt play DVD). it only happens when DVD is played that is the only consitent factor i can identify. I have DVD recorded with mp3.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the 1.4 update for the last 6 months or so. Also have had two replacement PCM modules. Problem of rebooting, which was the orginal complaint still occurs, abet with much less frequency. Seems to relate to the system heat soaking, ie shut off vehicle after a reasonable run for 1/2 hour so. The system then does the reboot thing with some repeativeness. Also happens when the bluetooth connected iPhone experience a weak cell signal. Don't undertand that corrolation.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
We have the 1.4 update for the last 6 months or so. Also have had two replacement PCM modules. Problem of rebooting, which was the orginal complaint still occurs, abet with much less frequency. Seems to relate to the system heat soaking, ie shut off vehicle after a reasonable run for 1/2 hour so. The system then does the reboot thing with some repeativeness. Also happens when the bluetooth connected iPhone experience a weak cell signal. Don't undertand that corrolation.

Hope this helps.

It sounds you are not chasing this any further but any news on what the problem was as i have the same issue. not sure how to report this to Porsche

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this helps.

It sounds you are not chasing this any further but any news on what the problem was as i have the same issue. not sure how to report this to Porsche

I will now correct my statement above, reboot is not related to DVD being played. If fact i cannot find correlation to anything for this reboot. someetimes it happens 3-4 times in the space off 15 min. sometimes it works for hours without problem. no idea. dont even know how to report this problem

• 2 years later...

We are also having the same problems with an 09 Cayenne TTWas working fine then suddenly started continually rebooting with messages in GermanNo audio, no Navigation, no phone, just the reboot start up screen, then the tuner screen with all stations blank, then back to blank screen, and restart....Does anyone have any ideas?CheersJason