Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof Vibration

A few months ago I just received my brand new Porsche Boxster 2004 Anniversary edition.

I am extremely happy with my decision to purchase.

Recently I started to hear a vibration that appeared to be happening in the roof lining or possibly the window seal. It seems to occur at speeds of 60-70 mph and perhaps cross-winds is an additional factor.

After confronting my dealer he stated that this occurs on all soft tops that the canvas will stretch from being new and that there was nothing that could be done. I am a little surprised with his response.

Has anyone else experienced this in their soft top Boxster?

Has a solution or work around be discovered?

Comments appreciated.

Al B

My experience was the opposite.

On my 2002, when it arrived off the ship, there was a small bit of canvas vibration and the top easily closed all the way by the top motor. After 2-3 weeks the motor stopped the top with a 1/2inch gap and the top was taut and silent. It has been stable ever since. I now have to hook carefully to draw the top closed.

If there is a vibration at 60-70 with top up, is there a whistle or thrumming sound at 60-70 with top down? If something changes at that speed with top down, it may be a fender gap/airflow issue. My car used to whistle at those speeds (more noticeable to passenger) until they changed out the foam seals on the side view mirror.

Not an expert, just my 2 cents of experience,

Ad Sach

P.S. I believe there are top tension adjustments. I am also surprised with the 'nothing that could be done' response.

Ad,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I can't hear any whistle or thrumming sound at 60-70 with the top up. It just seems to occur between those speeds. If I increase or lower the speed the vibration or wind raddle seems to disappear. I did try opening the window on the passenger side briefly and it appeared to resolve the issue for awhile but later came back. Not sure if opening the window released any sort of pressure built up within the cabin.

Anyways your comments are encouraging in that over the next few weeks or month it may loosen up and resolve the issue.

Take care,

Al B

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, mine suffers from that too.

One dealer thought they had a fix on another car, by inserting a foam strip within the roof, but the fault has come back again.

Another dealer adjusted the roof cables on my car, but it didnt make any difference.

I think that the problems is that Porsche dont officially recognise it as a fault as yet, so wont research a fix for it.