Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 RS Clubsport Roll Bar Installation - Rear Panel Pass-through

I was helping a friend on the weekend install a Porsche GT3 RS Euro/ROW clubsport roll bar in his US spec 2007 GT3 RS (#2373). As it is an early production RS it has roll bar stud plates factory welded to the floor behind the seats where the front base of the roll bar attaches, bosses welded to the floor under the seats to screw in eye hooks for the sub belt attachment and even stud plates welded to the floor in each of the foot wells to bolt a front roll bar extension. Installation of the Euro/ROW clubsport roll bar was straight forward however we spent considerable time measuring and cutting the rear shelf carpeting and undercushioning for the bar pass through where it bolts to the rear shock towers (see attached picture). The carpet undercushioning is difficult to cut with any precision as it consists of thick, spongy foam (up to 3" thick) and some rigid styrofoam. It occured to me that a better solution would be to order a replacement carpeted shelf piece for a ROW spec 997 GT3 RS that came with the factory Clubsport option as it should have the proper bar pass through holes already pre-cut in the carpet and foam backing? Attached is a picture of the reverse side of the carpeted panel from #2373 which shows a 997.551.033.00 part number. Do any of our RennTech forum subscribers have a ROW spec RS that came factory equipped with the clubsport option? I would appreciate the part number of the carpeted shelf panel (and pictures of the carpet cutout section)? Many thanks :)

post-19022-1239600859_thumb.jpg

post-19022-1239600900_thumb.jpg

post-19022-1239600938_thumb.jpg

Edited by edgemontvillage

The replacement carpet for the I003 option (Racing Safety Devices) is 997.551.033.90.A10 (It only comes in black) - $291.50

Nick, thanks for the lead :) , I've placed a call to the dealer with this information and I'll see what happens. How did you come across this part #?

I have a copy of the PET which is the same electronic parts catalog that the dealers use.

Thanks again Nick, I ordered the part and the dealer should have it before the end of the week.

Awesome!! So next the Plastic Rear Window ???

I have a copy of the PET which is the same electronic parts catalog that the dealers use.

Thanks again Nick, I ordered the part and the dealer should have it before the end of the week.

Awesome!! So next the Plastic Rear Window ???

Nick, I'm told the plastic / lexan rear window tends to vibrate at speed which makes me wonder if the 6lb weight savings is worth the $1,300 price + installation and vibration as a byproduct. I've installed Rennline pedals, Cargraphic rad grills, a Sharkwerks bypass and the 997 euro/ROW GT3 RS seats (which rock). The roll bar may be the finishing touch....can't say for sure!!!

Nick, turns out you had the right part number, many thanks! Here's a photo of the carpet shelf (with pre-cut holes for the Clubsport roll bar - 997.551.033.90.A10) I ordered from Suncoast Porsche. If anyone is planning a GT3 RS Clubsport roll bar installation I highly recommend you buy this part. I will save a lot of time and frustration.

post-19022-1239859591.jpg

It was news to me that US spec RS does not have plastic rear window and rear roll bars. In Europe you couldn´t order one without them. Just few days ago I installed the Porsche original front roll bars. Very nice and very heavy engineering so it really adds safety, but adds weight of course.

About the rear window, I have never ever noticed any vibration or anything with it. I might just be too slow.

It was news to me that US spec RS does not have plastic rear window and rear roll bars. In Europe you couldn´t order one without them. Just few days ago I installed the Porsche original front roll bars. Very nice and very heavy engineering so it really adds safety, but adds weight of course.

About the rear window, I have never ever noticed any vibration or anything with it. I might just be too slow.

Interesting experience and helpful feedback regarding the Lexan rear window - thank you. The US / North America spec GT3 RS comes equipped with a thin glass rear window only. The cost to replace the glass with the ROW spec Lexan plastic window is ~US$1,400 + installation for a 3KG weight savings. Most would consider the price too high to justify the weight savings. I have heard comments from some GT3 RS owners who have done the conversion that they experience rear window vibration noise at higher speeds when a side window is open. In North America only early production 2007 and no 2008 GT3 RS' came equipped with the stud plates welded to the floor of the tub used to install the front and rear roll bars. My RS (#2710) did not come with them.

Edited by edgemontvillage

Nick, turns out you had the right part number, many thanks! Here's a photo of the carpet shelf (with pre-cut holes for the Clubsport roll bar - 997.551.033.90.A10) I ordered from Suncoast Porsche. If anyone is planning a GT3 RS Clubsport roll bar installation I highly recommend you buy this part. I will save a lot of time and frustration.

Awesome result, glad it worked out for you.

Interesting experience and helpful feedback regarding the Lexan rear window - thank you. The US / North America spec GT3 RS comes equipped with a thin glass rear window only. The cost to replace the glass with the ROW spec Lexan plastic window is ~US$1,400 + installation for a 3KG weight savings. Most would consider the price too high to justify the weight savings. I have heard comments from some GT3 RS owners who have done the conversion that they experience rear window vibration noise at higher speeds when a side window is open. In North America only early production 2007 and no 2008 GT3 RS' came equipped with the stud plates welded to the floor of the tub used to install the front and rear roll bars. My RS (#2710) did not come with them.

DOT regulations forbid the use of Lexan windows and the fitment of 'Track' roll bars to a street vehicle imported into the US. Nothing to say the owner can't fit them afterward though. With regards to the window rattle, it was never designed to have the windows down at speed. Don't get me started on what I think about driving on a race track with the top up and windows down !!!!

DOT regulations forbid the use of Lexan windows and the fitment of 'Track' roll bars to a street vehicle imported into the US. Nothing to say the owner can't fit them afterward though. With regards to the window rattle, it was never designed to have the windows down at speed. Don't get me started on what I think about driving on a race track with the top up and windows down !!!!

I never even thought about driving it with the windows down, though in this RS case it might be less noisy, huh?

I am sorry that your authorities make your live difficult. My Euro spec ´08 car had everything pre-installed, even floor mat/insulation pre-cut for the roll cage. Even within European Union it is not allowed to drive with full cage, so I´ll see what happens in the first annual. The reasoning behind this is that race equipped cars are "provocative". So, if anyone gets killed when speeding while I am around, it is my fault.

• 3 years later...