Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Satnav update for PCM2.1 (2005 car)

Can you please tell me what the latest part number and release date is for the satnav updates? I have been told my car needs an update but I don't want to bother if it is either old or there is one coming out soon.

The dealer has only been able to tell me that it needs an update and nothing else.

Many thanks

(I'm in the UK - car is a 2005 987s and had an update done some time in 2005/6)

Why did the dealer tell you your car needed an update ? If your car is running a 2004 vintage map DVD with a PCM2.1 , there is a software update that can be applied to allow a newer map (2005 or later) to be used. If the car is running a 2005 or newer map DVD, the only software update available is for the navigation drive. I have had all versions of the map in my 987 from 2004 to 2007 and the latest navigation software too. I cannot say I have noticed any significant difference in performance or detail as each version of update has been installed. The main step forward is migrating from the 2004 map to the 2005 and newer ones , as TMC (traffic messaging) is only available for the UK on the 2005 or newer maps . The latest 2007 map actually runs on the same version of software as the 2006 map , so its no benefit from a software perspective to update to 2007 from 2006. The only benefit to newer maps are the obvious corrections to new roads and layouts etc. Unless your car is running a 2004 map DVD and you are looking to install the extended navigation , log book functions or a newer map , you do not need to update your PCM software.

That's very strange. I have the TMC and that works fine, I believe ths car had an update sometime around 6 months after it was first sold.

If there's not much else on there apart from a software update (which I have been told is 100 pouns odd) and that doesn't make a lot of difference then I might leave it. The OPC told me that the software is out of date and that there is a newer map however they can't tell me when it was released or what the details are for some reason. I'm not about to pay for an update that is a few years old and/or about to be outdated by a newer version.

I'll check my disk on the weekend for what part it is - can you let me know what the "latest" one is?

thanks!

The latest map is 08.2007 , though the map data is actually the same as the 05.2007 disc. The map update is sold with the PCM software update so that early vehicles can update from 2004 to 2007 directly as this requires newer PCM software. The software on your PCM is already at its latest level , so the update CD's in the pack would not be used. You cannot order just the map update on its own , you must order the update kit. The map update is the same price as the kit so there is no cost benefit anyway, it costs over 350 pounds. If you have a 2005 map DVD the 2007 map update will give you revisions on road changes up to October 2006 (the 2007 map update uses 2006 data). Unless you do a lot of driving using the navigation, updating to the 2007 map is probably not worth your while. Sounds like the dealer is trying to shift stock of map DVD's. Porsche are very poor at announcing when new map updates are available, even customer support in Reading have no information and somewhat rely on feedback from the dealers and parts departments.