Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2006 C2 with just 11,000 miles on it. Was basically trying to show off, switched off the PSM and attempted to light up the rear wheels with an energetic getaway. Instead of getting wheelspin i got the revs/clutch balance wrong and got clutch spin (slip actually) and a strong odour of burned clutch. I wont do that again (i suspect the rear weight distribution makes it difficult to light up the rear wheels on takeoff anyway) but did i do any damage to the clutch? Still a slight odour of clutch. I would imagine these clutches are pretty robust but i hope i havent done any permanenet damage to it....BTW I am NOT 18 years old and I don"t drive a hopped-up Camaro with bright red seat belts and, yes, i am pretty embarrassed about posting this thread.

Okay. I have a 2003 996 carrera 2. Here is the 411 on the 911. My car has 285 size tires in the rear. The weight in the rear creates tons of traction because of engine placement behind and over wheels. These cars are stick and go.....not peel out cars. If you rev it high enough chances are you will get what is known as tire hop. It is an ugly feeling and I have actually seen guys break the inside tire wall doing it. The vibration is terrible. First gear is very high and shouldn't be messed with too hard. I shift at about 5000 rpm to second. You can easily blow the clutch by doing high rev drops in first gear. Overall the clutch is robust and precise on these cars. The clutch is made by Sachs...not porsche. Just so you know. You can burn through them easily with poor shifting. Not to worry though. The price of the job at most places for a new clutch, throwout bearing is between 1200-1500 including labor and parts. not too bad. I noticed that when my clutch was going the actual clutch pedal was crazy heavy because of bad throw out bearing. This is at least what I was told. If clutch feels really heavy and you start to have new muscles in your leg........this is a sign somethings not right. You probably didn't do any damage or at least minimal. Clutch smell is somewhat normal. They clutch burns off over time through wear and tear as you are probably aware. I wouldn't be too worried. Have fun with it and worst case down the road is a new clutch. Not that expensive for the fun you get form this incredible sports car.

Hope this helps,

Beau from Chicago

2006 C2 with just 11,000 miles on it. Was basically trying to show off, switched off the PSM and attempted to light up the rear wheels with an energetic getaway. Instead of getting wheelspin i got the revs/clutch balance wrong and got clutch spin (slip actually) and a strong odour of burned clutch. I wont do that again (i suspect the rear weight distribution makes it difficult to light up the rear wheels on takeoff anyway) but did i do any damage to the clutch? Still a slight odour of clutch. I would imagine these clutches are pretty robust but i hope i havent done any permanenet damage to it....BTW I am NOT 18 years old and I don"t drive a hopped-up Camaro with bright red seat belts and, yes, i am pretty embarrassed about posting this thread.