Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster s clutch

I have an '01 Boxster S with 50,000 miles on the clock. My clutch is slipping in all gears starting at 2000 revs. Is there any adjustment on the Boxster clutch? Is 50,000 miles the average lifespan on the clutch? Other than routine maintenance, I've had nothing done to the baby and am shakin' in my boots at the prospect of visiting my local Porsche dealer with a repair issue. What might I expect as a reasonable estimate on the cost of such a repair? Thanks to all

I have an '01 Boxster S with 50,000 miles on the clock. My clutch is slipping in all gears starting at 2000 revs. Is there any adjustment on the Boxster clutch? Is 50,000 miles the average lifespan on the clutch? Other than routine maintenance, I've had nothing done to the baby and am shakin' in my boots at the prospect of visiting my local Porsche dealer with a repair issue. What might I expect as a reasonable estimate on the cost of such a repair? Thanks to all

Jerry,

It might be best that you do not continue driving your car if the clutch is slipping. If the clutch lining is worn down to the rivets on the flywheel side of the disk, you'll ruin the surface of the flywheel. And, that will add about $1,000 to your eventual bill to replace the flywhell.

FWIW, I just had a clutch replaced on my MY02 Targa. (The RMS and the IMS bearing bolts were updated at the same time.) The bill, after my 15% PCA discount was $1,578. The clutch was replaced because it was getting intolerably heavy - particularly in stop and go traffic. The clutch disk had 54,000 miles on it and had less than a millimeter of lining thickness remaining. Now, the clutch is as light as the Carrera's on the showroom floor.

A board member of another Porsche bulletin board has the original clutch in his 213,000 mile Boxster. Obviously, clutch life depends alot on the driver's habits. I attribute the short life of the clutch on my Targa to the original driver's poor driving habits. :D I purchased the car two years ago when it had 45,000 miles on it.

Bill

50K is young for a clutch, I think, but it really depends on driving style and conditions. Lots of stop and go city driving will shorten the life regardless of good or bad driving habits.

My '01 S has 54K on the clock and the clutch is fine. I have never had it done but I think $1200 - $1500 is pretty typical for cost. Since you have already paid for the labor, absolutely have the shop check the RMS and IMS while they are in there. Lots of threads about both issues here and on other Boxster boards.

If you are in an area where there is a choice of independent shops, I would try to find one as a possible alternative to the dealer. Good luck.

01S with 52K and my clutch STILL needs replacing - I have probably gone close to 10K since I noticed the problem. For me, I have what sounds like engine "knocking" and when depressing the clutch it subsides. This is apparently due to a the throwout bearing from what I have been told. Also, the clutch is very light. If you search for my postings, you should find my thread about the clutch issue and a sound clip of the "knocking".

I priced the replacement through my local dealership in south Texas at $1800 and a local Indie shop quoted $1100. I will more than likely do it myself (with a ton of help from knowledgeable friends) at a cost of $600 and a weekend's time.

I was surprised at the life (or lack there of) of the clutch as I don't think that I have driven it hard or put any undue stress on it. :-\