Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to separate the carrier from the lower control arm ball joint ?

Hi, i'm trying to change the oem front control arms of my car with the adjustable front GT3 control arms but i can't separate the carrier from the lower control arm ball joint !

I don't know how to do it ... i don't want to use the hammer but i'm seriously thinking of it !!!

Please help me ... any suggestions appreciated ... special tools to be used ... anything !!!

Thank you

Hi, i'm trying to change the oem front control arms of my car with the adjustable front GT3 control arms but i can't separate the carrier from the lower control arm ball joint !

I don't know how to do it ... i don't want to use the hammer but i'm seriously thinking of it !!!

Please help me ... any suggestions appreciated ... special tools to be used ... anything !!!

Thank you

You seem so desperate, and yet it is really easy.... I just did mine a few weeks ago (both front and rear).

This is what you need: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=99849

It's under 20 bucks at harbor freight.

The pic attached indicates how to use it. Be aware of the big bang!

Joost

post-16716-1242853395_thumb.jpg

Edited by jperquin

+1 on the harbor freight tool

I have tried two different ball joint seperators, one from NAPA and this one from HF. I did have to file a little bit on mine to make the jaw slightly larger, but the end of the pivoting piece that rests on the top of the threaded rod is longer on the HF tool than the other I used. This is important - it has to sit fully and the top of the rod - if only half of it "addresses" the top of the rod, you can crush the threads.

Also be sure you get the thing all the way on - push the boot down to be sure you are getting the jaw up against the conical part of the control arm. It will pop almost like a small caliber gunshot when it pops off - can frighten you if you are not prepared for it!

Thank you guys for your support !

Yes, it looks very easy with the right tool ... now i just have to see where to buy one !

I would like to buy one of them from Harbor freight but unfortunately i live in italy and i already know that i will have to become crazy to find the right one!

I will try in some Castorama or some well equipped shop !

Yes, it looks very easy with the right tool ... now i just have to see where to buy one !

I would like to buy one of them from Harbor freight but unfortunately i live in italy and i already know that i will have to become crazy to find the right one!

If you're not in a terribly big hurry I don't mind picking one up at HF and mail it to you.

PM Me if that's what you want to do.

Joost

If you're not in a terribly big hurry I don't mind picking one up at HF and mail it to you.

PM Me if that's what you want to do.

Joost

No, i'm not in a great hurry, don't need the car to be ready tomorrow.

So, i'm gonna check 2 shops in my city but if i will not find the right tool you would give me a great help.

I will PM you ... meantime let me tell you thank you ... you are really very kind ! :thankyou:

No, i'm not in a great hurry, don't need the car to be ready tomorrow.

So, i'm gonna check 2 shops in my city but if i will not find the right tool you would give me a great help.

I will PM you ... meantime let me tell you thank you ... you are really very kind ! :thankyou:

Prego!

Joost

• 2 months later...

Curious to find out if this worked for you..

JP

Hi JP, i have found a very easy solution with a guy of a Porsche dealer !

I have asked him to give me for just a day the special tool to do that job, but he told me that he couldn't do this ... but he had a great solution that needed just a hammer ... he also told me that this is a solution that they don't like to use but just because they have the right tool.

Well, in few words ... one strong shot with a hammer on the rear side of the ball joint ... and it works !!! :D

So now i have the lower control arms with 11 mm each side and -2° 30" camber and really great improvement in the drive feeling (on track) !

I really appreciate your interest ! ;)

Curious to find out if this worked for you..

JP

Hi JP, i have found a very easy solution with a guy of a Porsche dealer !

I have asked him to give me for just a day the special tool to do that job, but he told me that he couldn't do this ... but he had a great solution that needed just a hammer ... he also told me that this is a solution that they don't like to use but just because they have the right tool.

Well, in few words ... one strong shot with a hammer on the rear side of the ball joint ... and it works !!! :D

So now i have the lower control arms with 11 mm each side and -2° 30" camber and really great improvement in the drive feeling (on track) !

I really appreciate your interest ! ;)

I also put on the adjustable lower control arms all around. -3 front camber and -2.6 in the rear. With a set of Hoosier R6's my laptimes have improved dramatically!

JP

• Moderators

Those who use a steel hammer to tap on a light alloy carrier (or othe part), are not mechanics but demolition contractors, i may hope that nobody will follow this example.

Those who use a steel hammer to tap on a light alloy carrier (or othe part), are not mechanics but demolition contractors, i may hope that nobody will follow this example.

I agree 100% with you but i have found myself in a very urgent situation without the possibility to get the right tool and the need to have my car ready for a track challenge ... but, even if i don't like to use the hammer (never) i make you sure that has been a very "smooth" shot and with a rubber hammer ! :rolleyes: