Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Top Question

Hi. I have a 99 Cab and I need some help with a part that mounts underneath the clamshell. On the underside of the clamshell between the two hinge points is a plastic assembly that looks like a little wing. I was lowering the top and stopped halfway to make sure the plastic window was folding properly and I noticed that this little assembly had dislodged. I removed it, figure out how it was supposed to go together then re-installed it. The next time I cycled the top I heard a clunk and it had dislodged itself again so I just removed it. Top seems to work well without it there and I can't figure out what it does.

Can anybody fill me in on what this thing is supposed to do? Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Scott

I have the same exact thing going on with my top. I heard from someone that it protects the conv. top from snagging, which would result in having a new top installed. If you find out where to purchase this from, let me know. Good luck

You are correct sir!

I had this exact thing happen to mime. Here is the link that will answer all your questions and give you the part number. Read the entire thread. Make sure to order new fasteners as well. Sunset will have everything you need. The new part comes complete and assembled. Is about $25.00.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...rotection+plate

:renntech:

Edited by phillipj

Are you looking for#21 in this diagram? http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/996-99-05/811-13.htm I know exactly what part you're referring to if you had a Boxster but don't remember ever seeing them in a 996.

Thanks dr914jr. That's the part that is causing the problem. The one on the passenger side keeps popping off. There is a metal bracket that is part of the assembly and I think it's bent. The metal bracket screws to the plastic with a couple of Torx screws. I'm going to take them both off and compare as the one on the drivers side seems OK. Even though they are a mirror image of each other hopefully I can bend the little metal bracket back into shape. Will advise how this goes - may end up getting a new one from the dealer (should be easier now that I have a part number). Thanks everyone for your comments.

Cheers, Scott

:thankyou:

Scottiemac,

I guess you are talking about the part that is on either side of the clamshell. That is not the part I had an issue with and I don't believe it could harm your top. I believe that part just keeps debris from getting in when the top is down.

If it is the one in my post just buy a new one.

They are cheap and easy to install. (Once you have mastered those freakin Porsche screw /rivet things. :angry: )

Here are the part numbers from this PET diagram http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/996-99-05/811-12.htm

Item #9

996 561 265 01 Trim cover (main part)

999 591 941 40 Expansion rivet (2)

Phillipj

Edited by phillipj

Scottiemac,

I guess you are talking about the part that is on either side of the clamshell. That is not the part I had an issue with and I don't believe it could harm your top. I believe that part just keeps debris from getting in when the top is down.

If it is the one in my post just buy a new one.

They are cheap and easy to install. (Once you have mastered those freakin Porsche screw /rivet things. :angry: )

Here are the part numbers from this PET diagram http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/996-99-05/811-12.htm

Item #9

996 561 265 01 Trim cover (main part)

999 591 941 40 Expansion rivet (2)

Phillipj

Thanks Phillipj. I wish it was the part you refer to as it's a lot cheaper but no such luck.

Thanks for the comments though and I'll file this away for the future.

Cheers, Scott