Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Foglights...

1997 Boxster 5 speed

Do all Boxsters have foglights? I have read that they do and my headlight switch can be turned to the left...but the small lights on the front in the headlight/turn signal cluster do not come on...I do not want to remove the headlight cluster unless I am sure the car actually has foglights. The bulbs may be burnt out...

Do not have owners manual.

I will try to pull the switch out and see what happens.

What does the switch do when you turn it to the left?

When you turn the light switch one click to the left of "off" the right side parking lights (right side marker and right tail light) will turn "on". Turn the light switch once more to the left and the left side parking lights (left side marker and left rear light) will turn "on".

If you do use the fog lights, there will be one of two (dimly illuminated) indicator lights on the left side of the light switch bezel - one indicates the forward fog lights are in use, the second indicates the tail fog light is in use as well. If your car has not been modified by the previous owner(s), there will be only one rear fog light illuminated....the left side for left hand drive cars; the right side for right hand drive cars.

I think an owner's manual is around $30.oo from the dealer. There is a lot of good information in the manual....well worth the price.

Bill

Edited by whall

I have a Bentley manual as I have done some engine work to the car. I am now getting time to fix the little problems and driving the car and loving it.

When I Turn the switch to the left 1 click the right front headlight goes on and the rear tailight on the right side.

When I turn the switch 2 clicks to the left the left headlight comes on and the left tailight.

When I pull the switch out it does not do anything, it just goes back in. It does not click and I do not feel any indentations...no flicker of the foglights. Even if I hold the switch out.

Should my headlight switch stay out when pulled straight out?

I have a Bentley manual as I have done some engine work to the car. I am now getting time to fix the little problems and driving the car and loving it.

When I Turn the switch to the left 1 click the right front headlight goes on and the rear tailight on the right side.

When I turn the switch 2 clicks to the left the left headlight comes on and the left tailight.

When I pull the switch out it does not do anything, it just goes back in. It does not click and I do not feel any indentations...no flicker of the foglights. Even if I hold the switch out.

Should my headlight switch stay out when pulled straight out?

The fog lights only work in conjunction with the light switch in the (driving) parking lights "on" or the headlights "on" switch positions. Further, while driving with the head lights "on", if you select high beams with the fog lights turned "on", the fog lights turn "off" automatically....re-illuminating when the high beams are de-selected.

If you are having a problem obtaining an MY97 owner's manual, you can down load an MY03 owner's manual from RennTech. While not completely accurate in all areas, it will will help with switchology questions.

Bill

Foglight fuse was missing from the fusebox. Also had DRL hack as I needed to get the car inspected in Canada.

Disconnected DRL hack added a fuse and foglights come on when I pull the switch...but switch does not stay out. Small foglight symbols

illuminate on the bezel of the switch. Is the switch supposed to stay out from the dash 1/4" or so when fogs are on?

Foglight fuse was missing from the fusebox. Also had DRL hack as I needed to get the car inspected in Canada.

Disconnected DRL hack added a fuse and foglights come on when I pull the switch...but switch does not stay out. Small foglight symbols

illuminate on the bezel of the switch. Is the switch supposed to stay out from the dash 1/4" or so when fogs are on?

Sorry, but my only expeience is with MY02 Targas and MY03 Boxsters. But on both cars, the fog lights only illuminate with the light switch in the (driving) parking or headlight "on" positions. With the light switch in either position, the front fog lights are turned "on" by pulling the switch out one click. The rear fog light is added to the fog light ensemble by pulling the light switch out one more click. In either case, the light switch remains in the selected extended position.

By the way, just to eliminate any confusion because of terms, the (driving) parking lights are turned on by turning the light switch one position to the right of "off". The head lights are turned on by turning the light switch two positions to the right of "off". The (parked by the side of the road) parking lights are turned on by pulling out on the light switch and turning it to the left two positions of the "off" position. The light switch does not remain in the pulled out, extended position when selecting the (parked by the side of the road) parking lights. It returns to the un-extended position.

It is possible the earlier Boxsters have a different light switch - not to mention other differences....further reason to order a year appropriate owner's manual.

Bill

Edited by whall