Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic shifting badly / hesitating and starting to flash D

Just wanted to share this story if others have same problems or if anyone's got any comments on what's going on. I have a Boxster S 2000 Tiptronic, it started to sometimes shift from 5 to 4 or vice versa (not sure) - seemws not to be able to find or decide the right gear. This leads to the car hesitating and then starting to flash D. This happened randomly after a couple minutes - 1hour. After it happened the car hesitated everytime before accelerating. The problem often fixed itself for a while when the car was turned off.

The problem seems to have gone away after I adjusted the shifter cable length (shift did not go to P but blinked R) and reset the transmission program by disconnecting the battery for half an hour. Not sure what fixed it and whether it really has gone away. Any ideas on what's going on, just an unstable / buggy Tiptronic program learning algorithms?

HI try checking your tyres are they all the right tyre pressure also are they the correct profiles and sizes all round ? also check the tread wear dept if one tyre has 8mm thread and the other has 2mm for example can cause havoc with the tip tranny settings and can cause the box to play up

I know it happened to me ...the front tyres are best changed in pairs with the same brand tyre type ...thread pattern etc

Blinking is likely poor cable alignment. Once fixed, it shouldn't exhibit any further problems.

If it still shifts badly or incorrectly once the cable alignment is verified, then likely the fluid needs changing. I change mine every 20-25k on every VW/Porsche I own. I can tell the difference in how it starts to shift right at this point. Interestingly enough, some of the automakers that give 10 yr powertrain warranties require fluid changes every 20k.

If D was blinking with 4th gear, that means that tiptronic controller sensing a malfuction and puts the car into a "safe mode". There are a lot of reason for that. Checking with an OBD-II reader you will see what causes that.