Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Everyone,

I have a tire question. I have an '08 911 C4S with about 8,700 miles on it. A couple weeks ago, a nail got stuck in my right rear tire. Luckily, i bought an extra tire/wheel insurance that the dealer offerred me when I bought the car, so they replaced the tire with a new one. Will it become an issue if my other tires have 8,700 miles on them? The dealer does not cover the other rear tire since there was no damage to the other tire. The tires that are on the car are the 305/30ZR19(rear) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I'm also new to this forum, and this is my first Porsche.

Thanks Everyone.

Congrats on the car!

I'd say you are pretty close to needing to replace both tires on the same axle. An new PS2 tire should have 9/32-10/32 of tread. How many are on the current "old" tire?

You may experience strange handling on hard acceleration, cornering, and rainy weather. The size different may also effect PSM, but you should know this by now if it did.

I should add that your front tires should be just fine.

Edited by White987S

Congrats on the car!

I'd say you are pretty close to needing to replace both tires on the same axle. An new PS2 tire should have 9/32-10/32 of tread. How many are on the current "old" tire?

You may experience strange handling on hard acceleration, cornering, and rainy weather. The size different may also effect PSM, but you should know this by now if it did.

I should add that your front tires should be just fine.

Thanks for the quick response. I apologize, but I'm not very good with auto terminology. Im not sure what you mean about the tread, and how do i find out how much tread is left on a tire using the metric you mention? I also forgot to mention that this car is being used as a "sunday" car. It does not go on race tracks or anything...just regular driving.

Edited by kultyper

This is a tire tread depth gage:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/445323/W...ead_Depth_Gauge

You can buy these at any auto parts store for about $5. I check all of my tires before and after each driving season, and log the info in my maintenance book for reference.

On a PS2 tire, in your size, there should be 2 or 3 deep groves, in the center footprint, that you can measure. Don't measure out near the tire's shoulder.

PSM= Porsche Stability Management (traction control).

post-9898-1245185511.jpg

You can buy these at any auto parts store for about $5. I check all of my tires before and after each driving season, and log the info in my maintenance book for reference.

On a PS2 tire, in your size, there should be 2 or 3 deep groves, in the center footprint, that you can measure. Don't measure out near the tire's shoulder.

Awesome!! Ill go pick up one of those guages after work. After measuring the tire depth later when i get home, i might have more questions if thats cool. Thanks for all the help and info!

So i went to a local auto parts store, and just my luck, they didn't have any in stock. I did the "penny trick" that i found online though. On the new tire, Abe Lincoln's eyes were covered just above his nose. On the older tire, his eyes were exposed right up to his eyebrow. I'm not sure if this helps identify the severity of my tire issue, but any thoughts would help. I still plan on getting the tire tread guage, but i gotta find a store that has them in stock....LOL. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
kultyper, how did this play out? What did you decide to do?

FYI- a new tire in your size is closer to 8/32's not the 9-10 that I first thought.

so, I bought the tire depth guage. The difference is 1/32. I don't think I'm going to need to change the old tire. What do you think? He car is driven very lightly, so there is hardly any wear on the tires.

kultyper, how did this play out? What did you decide to do?

FYI- a new tire in your size is closer to 8/32's not the 9-10 that I first thought.

so, I bought the tire depth guage. The difference is 1/32. I don't think I'm going to need to change the old tire. What do you think? He car is driven very lightly, so there is hardly any wear on the tires.

Sounds like you are good-to-go. As long as you measured in 2-3 different places. Good job! Measure your tread depth every 6 months or so, and log it with your maintenance records.