Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I recently purchased a used 2008 911 C4S (15,000 miles) - coupe. Drove it back home to Chicago (1,000 miles!).

The porsche pre-inspection recommended getting the current rear tires replaced -- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2305/30ZR19 -- which have 3/32 tread wear left.

I noticed a lot of tire road noise on my drive back and as a first time Porsche owner I am trying to determine if the noise is due to simply: a.) my ignorance as a first time owner and I should expect such road noise; b.) the low tread wear on the tire; c.) the type of tire . . . or d.) all the above?

Anyway, I intend to replace the rear tires and would appreciate any recommendations as to whether I should continue with the Michelin PS . . . or consider any of the following:

- Pirelli PZero Rosso

- Pirelli PZero

- Continental ContiSportContact 3

- Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Thanks in advance!

--mgustplaya

My car is pretty noisy on concrete - much better on asphalt. So Interstate driving can get a little tiresome - no pun intended. B)

I have PS/2s as well - in the past, on other cars, those were great tires - didn't notice the noise really. I bet some noise is going to be part of the 911 experience. :rolleyes:

I recently purchased a used 2008 911 C4S (15,000 miles) - coupe. Drove it back home to Chicago (1,000 miles!).

The porsche pre-inspection recommended getting the current rear tires replaced -- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2305/30ZR19 -- which have 3/32 tread wear left.

I noticed a lot of tire road noise on my drive back and as a first time Porsche owner I am trying to determine if the noise is due to simply: a.) my ignorance as a first time owner and I should expect such road noise; b.) the low tread wear on the tire; c.) the type of tire . . . or d.) all the above?

Anyway, I intend to replace the rear tires and would appreciate any recommendations as to whether I should continue with the Michelin PS . . . or consider any of the following:

- Pirelli PZero Rosso

- Pirelli PZero

- Continental ContiSportContact 3

- Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Thanks in advance!

--mgustplaya

I have the same car/tires. My previous cars were Lexus LS series (one of the quietest cars on the road). Going to the C4S was a dramatic change. Concrete freeway driving is definitely the worst. I have about 20K on mine now and they are due for replacement soon. My concern about changing tires would be performance issues. Would like to know what you end up doing.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Jim_bob_boy

Edited by jim_bob_boy

High-performance tires wear fast and get noisy. Any replacement will be quieter when new. You must match the tire brand/type/N-rating on all 4 tires. If you switch brands you must buy 4 tires.

My tire pick preference order is:

Michelin

Bridgestone

Pirelli

Continental

Someone said his rear tires have 20k miles... allow me: why do you drive a Porsche? :) 12k-14k miles on 911 rears is about max for a well driven 911. 9k-10k miles typical.

Edited by ADias

High-performance tires wear fast and get noisy. Any replacement will be quieter when new. You must match the tire brand/type/N-rating on all 4 tires. If you switch brands you must buy 4 tires.

My tire pick preference order is:

Michelin

Bridgestone

Pirelli

Continental

Someone said his rear tires have 20k miles... allow me: why do you drive a Porsche? :) 12k-14k miles on 911 rears is about max for a well driven 911. 9k-10k miles typical.

Bridgestone 050 Pole Position. Note that the "pole position" tire is different than the standard 050. I felt some sidewall flex once on a hard left corner, but otherwise I run these for years with good results. I like the 280 wear and AA traction rating.