Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GPS/bluetooth/iphone interface for 04 Cayenne Turbo

Hi guys!

I've been working on this project for over a year now, and I've finally felt comfortable enough to announce my specs.

I have managed to put a PC (converted from an ASUS eee 901 netbook) as an alternate input on the video display. It allows normal stock data plus tomtom/XM/bluetooth/internet on the go, with a touchscreen overlay. It's cost me about $2500 in test parts, but I figure the actual cost to be ~$500 in parts for a good model with my setup. I'm working on an open-source XML interface now based on ubuntu linux that can just be installed to the hardware with the interface/touchscreen/gps package pre-configured. I've got it to tether internet with my iphone, so I can charge/play music from it.

I chose a cheap netbook to assist me in power management and the EEE is the most ubiquitous model. I'm real sketchy when it comes to linking into the existing power, so I set the power for the laptop to be tied into the CDC circuit. I chose the CDC since I installed a m0bridge ipod unit a while back, and because familiar with the wiring/power settings on that loop. I have the laptop's AC charger set to an inverter that connects to the DC supply during engine-on phase. I have the netbook set to put itself to hibernate after 2 minutes. That puts the netbook in a quickly bootable state and allows it to stay more or less permanently on given I drive the car at least once a week.

I have used a resistive TFT screen overlay for a touchscreen. I'm still struggling with this though; I went through several types to find some that don't suck. I'm still looking. I'd prefer a capacitive touchscreen, but they are still fairly new tech and WAY expensive for this project (would probably double the cost). I'm tempted to wait and see about gesture commands and a pinhole webcam, but that would take to **** long to be ready.

I'm using two different physical EEEs. One is set with XP (there's a LOT of premade interfaces for xp!), the other is my linux test ride. I WANT to go all linux, but I also want to take advantage of the Durametric tools. If only they'd program in anything but .NET!

I'm not going into detail about the linux setups just yet, I manage to break them constantly. As soon as I have a stable release, I'll sourceforge a copy if anyone is interested. Yes, it will be entirely open source. I'm hoping I can learn enough to set it up as a normal update that can be pulled easily, but that's WAY down my list. I'm looking at doing bluetooth when possible, so I can just get in the vehicle and not worry about it. Enabling the wifi tether burns the battery if you leave it on, and requires manual intervention to enable/disable. I'm not a good enough reverse engineer to script that function without a bluetooth hook, so no bluetooth on the v2 linux setup.

So far, Both versions have stable releases, but I'm a little OCD about presentation. I'm still iffy on the XP one (the response is somewhat laggy, but I'm still working on it), but unless Durametric decides to port to a more OS-friendly language, I'm going to maintain a windows version. The linux version is not bad, and performance is acceptable.

XP install price (in USD): $566

EEE 900: $165

StreetDeck 2.0: $99

LCD TFT overlay+usb interface: $45

XP license: varies, but I'd estimate $100 depending on your method. (I use TechNet myself)

LCD VGA aux tap: $88

Earthmate GPS BT-20 with Street Atlas USA 2009 PLUS: $69

Linux install price: $397

GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver: $39

Bluetooth OBD2: $60

XP:

itunes (allows iphone tethering, fair music play)

Durametric enthusiast v1

StreetDeck (interface, media player, etc)

GPS: Street Atlas USA 2009 PLUS

Linux software packs:

Try 1: Ubuntu 8.04

http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/ for GPS/OBD2 (no Durametric available for linux...)

jailbroken iphone bluetooth tether

Try 2: LinuxICE for interface, media, navigation

I prefer this setup, and will be using this for the linux version.

jailbroken iphone wifi tether

-----------------------

Next step: posting screenshots of the interface in action. I'm still working on it, but it's ugly. I will post a work log when I get to the point of a linux release candidate (ETA - September-November 09, next time I get enough time to make progress!)

You failed to state the purpose of the project so back to EE classes for you

Kidding ;-)

Hi guys!

I've been working on this project for over a year now, and I've finally felt comfortable enough to announce my specs.

I have managed to put a PC (converted from an ASUS eee 901 netbook) as an alternate input on the video display. It allows normal stock data plus tomtom/XM/bluetooth/internet on the go, with a touchscreen overlay. It's cost me about $2500 in test parts, but I figure the actual cost to be ~$500 in parts for a good model with my setup. I'm working on an open-source XML interface now based on ubuntu linux that can just be installed to the hardware with the interface/touchscreen/gps package pre-configured. I've got it to tether internet with my iphone, so I can charge/play music from it.

I chose a cheap netbook to assist me in power management and the EEE is the most ubiquitous model. I'm real sketchy when it comes to linking into the existing power, so I set the power for the laptop to be tied into the CDC circuit. I chose the CDC since I installed a m0bridge ipod unit a while back, and because familiar with the wiring/power settings on that loop. I have the laptop's AC charger set to an inverter that connects to the DC supply during engine-on phase. I have the netbook set to put itself to hibernate after 2 minutes. That puts the netbook in a quickly bootable state and allows it to stay more or less permanently on given I drive the car at least once a week.

I have used a resistive TFT screen overlay for a touchscreen. I'm still struggling with this though; I went through several types to find some that don't suck. I'm still looking. I'd prefer a capacitive touchscreen, but they are still fairly new tech and WAY expensive for this project (would probably double the cost). I'm tempted to wait and see about gesture commands and a pinhole webcam, but that would take to **** long to be ready.

I'm using two different physical EEEs. One is set with XP (there's a LOT of premade interfaces for xp!), the other is my linux test ride. I WANT to go all linux, but I also want to take advantage of the Durametric tools. If only they'd program in anything but .NET!

I'm not going into detail about the linux setups just yet, I manage to break them constantly. As soon as I have a stable release, I'll sourceforge a copy if anyone is interested. Yes, it will be entirely open source. I'm hoping I can learn enough to set it up as a normal update that can be pulled easily, but that's WAY down my list. I'm looking at doing bluetooth when possible, so I can just get in the vehicle and not worry about it. Enabling the wifi tether burns the battery if you leave it on, and requires manual intervention to enable/disable. I'm not a good enough reverse engineer to script that function without a bluetooth hook, so no bluetooth on the v2 linux setup.

So far, Both versions have stable releases, but I'm a little OCD about presentation. I'm still iffy on the XP one (the response is somewhat laggy, but I'm still working on it), but unless Durametric decides to port to a more OS-friendly language, I'm going to maintain a windows version. The linux version is not bad, and performance is acceptable.

XP install price (in USD): $566

StreetDeck 2.0: $99

XP license: varies, but I'd estimate $100 depending on your method. (I use TechNet myself)

Earthmate GPS BT-20 with Street Atlas USA 2009 PLUS: $69

Linux install price: $397

GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver: $39

Bluetooth OBD2: $60

XP:

itunes (allows iphone tethering, fair music play)

Durametric enthusiast v1

StreetDeck (interface, media player, etc)

GPS: Street Atlas USA 2009 PLUS

Linux software packs:

Try 1: Ubuntu 8.04

http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/ for GPS/OBD2 (no Durametric available for linux...)

jailbroken iphone bluetooth tether

Try 2: LinuxICE for interface, media, navigation

I prefer this setup, and will be using this for the linux version.

jailbroken iphone wifi tether

-----------------------

Next step: posting screenshots of the interface in action. I'm still working on it, but it's ugly. I will post a work log when I get to the point of a linux release candidate (ETA - September-November 09, next time I get enough time to make progress!)

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to hear more and see some photos even if roughing it in still. I love in dash gadgetry but even the best stock tech so far leaves me wishing for much more. This sounds like a great solution.

• 11 months later...

Update:

I'm going forward with a few slight changes since this was updated.

I've since changed the computer to a fit-pc2 (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/) with a small SSD (32gb). I've managed to configure it to automatically use my jailbroken iphone as a tethered internet device using bluetooth or USB (my choice), as well as . Up to this point, I've had to rely on a windows installation, but I've gotten enough lead time now on the project I've been able to use Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine to create a distributable ISO of the drive to replicate easily to other users. I'm still not ready to modify my dash permanently, but it's coming. I have a 9 inch capacitive touchscreen I ordered direct from China (roughly $280) I have in a temporary mount as the display. I'm booting to a self-modified Gnome gui for presentation (I took chunks of the netbook remix and the HP Mini ubuntu distro and massaged them into a coherent theme) that has touchscreen in mind. I've changed the fontsize and scripted behavior to open each application you hit into a different desktop (for easy retention and recall). I have a small automotive PSU with a small battery for gentle shutdown. My biggest hurdle left is how to implement the screen without disabling my PCM - I hated the touchscreen overlay idea. It worked but it looked too amateur for me. That project is for later this summer when it's not 95 degrees outside. Total cost to me so far is a ridiculous amount, but most of that is due to trying different screens, software packages, computers, etc etc etc. Actual projected cost for another installation would be in the $600 neighborhood.

Currently, I can:

GPS location

- navigate using google earth. it's not as application specific as i want, but it works perfectly and is free. It updates maps by itself, and keeps my location in realtime

Websurfing

-I typcally use chrome, but I found 'touchscreen access' for firefox which works great!

Music Applications

- Pandora iPhone app: I use this because it's unlimited and free. The website has a cap based on monthly usage I want to avoid

- streaming websites

- in-dash controls using a m0bridge audio interface

control the computer itself using the touchscreen

-use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse for additional input

- i'm working on a voice command solution, but that's months off, and I want this finalized before Thanksgiving!

act as a wireless access point for any in-car laptops/devices using WPA2-TKIP

monitor my system using the Durametric Enthusiast adapter

-pretty much permanently installed the way I have it now; too big of a pain to remove frequently

-can be removed, but I'll need to modify the USB port locations. I want to place one near the OBD2 port so I can just yank it and take it to another car

Monitor my car with the computer

- updates my website with the last known GPS location and speed (from Durametric read) every 60 seconds

- dumps the durametric log every 24 hours

- enables a VPN connection to my website. I can actually use this to communicate back to the onboard computer. So far it's limited in application, but I can eventually do an OnStar style remote disable (need an EE before I get silly with this part - I could do some permanent damage), as well as other fun things - maybe video conference whoever's driving, take pics of driver, voip call the car, etc.

Software needed:

Ubuntu 10.04

Wine 1.1.41

Google Earth (v5.something)

Durametric Porsche Diagnostic Tools 6.0

Hardware necessary:

fit-pc2 (diskless) - $345+shipping

8.9" capacitive touchscreen - $306 (was my cost)

Durametric Enthusiast - $287+shipping

Optional Hardware:

internet providing device (jailbroken iphone, 3G wap, whatever you want)

bluetooth mouse/keyboard ($50+)

relocate and mount USBs (about $40 so far in cords, mounts, etc)

m0bridge Audio (I can't remember, it's been years)

Edited by 3ball

I forgot to add: The wine project adds the .NET infrastructure for the durametric... finally. Pictures will be coming when it doesn't look like I've got a gutted computer sitting in the passenger seat. Ive got the setup done well designed enough to keep the PC in the glovebox, and replace the existing screen with the touchscreen.

I can post pics of the interface, the parts, the horrible temporary installs I use each weekend, and upload my custom ISO for anyone interested. Or if you're in the Houston, TX area, show you in exchange for help on the wiring of the PCM :)