Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hunting / ruff Idle 2000 Boxster

The purpose of this thread is to troubleshoot this problem until I solve it. Even if I have to take it to the dealer do get it done. Step by step so hopefully nobody else has to for this problem.

Brief summary of why it is not the MAF.

-Old MAF 986 606 125 00 car was running ruff P1128 P1130 codes popped CE light ( fuel air mixture lean )

-Dealer & I checked for Vacuum leaks & found none.

-Replacement MAF 986 606 125 01 car runs good No codes or CE light but Idle is hunting.

- Dealer states no software upgrade is needed for replacement MAF. and suggests the New MAF is bad, since then 3 New replacement MAF have been put in and hunting is still present.

- For kicks I put the old MAF back in and the idle is fine but old problem is their rides ruff and old codes pop up again.

- Unhooked the car overnight to reset any old MAF parameters in ECU (Cause of a hood lock out but that is a separate thread)

After I fix the hood cable I will start fresh on the hunting Idle problem. Special thanks to TP, Loren, and Scott for their help. Scott has given me great materials and there is an "oil separator" lead that I need to dedicate more time and attention to.

wish me luck! :unsure:

J

Edited by porscheneer

WOW, I was about to embark on a quest, I think it may have been cut short. And gladly so.

TP I couldn't find any DIY for this is there any Diagrams or instructions with regards to the Throttle body/ Idle stabilizer.

:thumbup:

Edited by porscheneer

i did not clean the throttle body / iac valve.

i had been noticing rev fluctuations for quite some time. no codes were being thrown. one friday, just driving along, a cel came on. i took it to the dealer (carlsen), they traced it to a bad oil separator - and replaced it.

i asked them to clean out the iac valve. they told me they could not find it (???). during the next diy session i intend to clean the throttle body / aic valve.

Thats odd I thought the IACV was part of the throttle body?

Anyway is there anyway to isolate the oild separator to make sure?

if you have the part # handy was it 996 107 080 54

some people call it an oil breather?

Thanx for the insight Troomi

and one last question was this true in your case

"This condition will usually be exacerbated with the A.C. on"

cause mine was not either

J

Edited by porscheneer

It could also be this:

Usually the problem would be with a sluggish Idle stabilizer or also called an IACV. These valves can get corrosion in them and slow down until they get stuck and then cease to work. This valve controls the amount of controlled bypass air required to keep the car idling. These conditions change with load and the valve opens or closes to accommodate this. The valve is easy to access from its location on the side of the throttle valve housing. This condition will usually be exacerbated with the A.C. on.

It also could be your oil seperator leaking air into the system.

Scott