Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Oil Change Experience

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been around Porsche 911's since 1985. I have owned and worked on only air cooled machines and so know them very well.

Fortunately for me I was able to buy a new 2008 C2S last November, and took delivery on March 19/2009.

I don't have too much experience with the 997. The electronic oil level system has taken a bit of getting used to and I did notice that some of you have the same issues.....To make a long story a bit shorter, I just turned over 3,000 Kms and decided I would change the oil after the break in. So I have all the parts oil etc, and I made myself some ramps out of 2x10's. In fact I made 4 so the car would be exactly level. As it was my first oil change I decided I would measure the drained oil and refill using the same quantity.....It seemed like a fool proof plan!

So I took off on my usual warm up drive (approx 25 mins) and drove back to my garage which is nice and level and drove up on my new ramps. Now, before I started all this my level indicator was one bar down. That meant I "could" be as much as .4 Litres low.....At any rate I was going to measure the drained oil.....I drained 8 Litres 450 Mls out of the car allowing 30+ minutes to drain. It seemed like a no-brainer, so I added 8 Litres 450 Mls back in. At that point the level indicator was showing over full, but I figured the filter was empty at this point and this would account for the overfull condition. Started her up and went off on my usual route.

On returning back to the garage I let her sit for quite some time then ran the level check.....Lo and behold, she was showing overfull!! Hmmmm Now I was stumped. Well, not really....The next morning I drained out 300 Mls using the drain plug, re-torqued and fortunately there are no leaks......

The moral of my story is that next time I'll drain then add 8 Litres, drive her and top up the oil level as necessary.

Regards,

Bob

post-40826-1246681655_thumb.jpgpost-40826-1246682000_thumb.jpgreceipt.tif

Edited by NelsonMX

Love the white Porsches! Nice car.

I also had my oil change very near the initial break-in period. I have always done this with all my new cars. I think it is good, and cheap, insurance.

I actually love the electronic dip stick, and think it works great.

Love the white Porsches! Nice car.

I also had my oil change very near the initial break-in period. I have always done this with all my new cars. I think it is good, and cheap, insurance.

I actually love the electronic dip stick, and think it works great.

Yes the electronic dipstick is very good. But being an old Porsche type, I miss the manual feel of a dipstick!!!!

Yes I've always changed my oil at the end of break-in...As you say, cheap insurance!! So true..

The color was the only thing I didn't have a choice on as the car was already in stock at the dealer. But I got all the options I wanted and as it was a 2008 I had a very good discount. I considered ordering a 2009, but as it was a new model I wasn't sure about any issues with the new cars....So far I couldn't be happier with the car. And as far is white is concerned I really do like it.....In fact, if I do buy another one in the future, it would be white!!