Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'06 Cayenne "Brake Pads Workshop (!)" Fault

Happy 4th!

Driving home from fireworks this evening we got a "Brake Pads Workshop (!) fault. Our '06 Cayenne as 48,200 miles on it. Front pads were replaced at 20K. Rear pads are from the factory. I'm assuming this error is letting me know that I need to replace the front, rear, or both sets of pads? I've just never seen this error or recall it before.

Appreciate the help.

All the best,

Bill :beer:

• Moderators

48.000 miles on the car with the first front pads replacement at 20.000 miles, it looks like you can go for a complete set of pads, front and rear. Check the front rotors for wear as well, usually they are worn after two pads changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well…finally got to the brakes today. I bought parts for the front and rear based on RFM’s comments about the rear pads at 48K too. Sure enough, I had one sensor worn through in the rear and one in the front (I drove another 200-300 miles after the brake pad workshop indicator came on). The one rear one was really worn through.

I’ve always been an OEM guy…but for my ’06 Cayenne I went with the Hawk dustless pads. It is a beautiful vehicle and I just hate how quick the wheels get dusty. It’s a SoCal Cayenne, so I keep it washed weekly and always looking good. Anyway, I hate dirty wheels. I’ll give these pads a shot. I heard a few good comments from posting’s here.

Here’s what I went with:

HB512Z.605 – Hawk Dustless Pads – Front (330mm rotor)

HB502Z.606 – Hake Dustless Pads – Rear (330mm rotor)

Total: $253.73 with tax and shipping

Jeff at Sunset set me up with the sensors and brake Hardware:

(2) 955-612-365-00 – Brake Wear Sensors at $11.50ea or $23.00 set

(2) 955-612-365-30 – Brake Wear Sensors at $11.50ea or $23.00 set

(2) 955-351-959-00 – Front Caliper hardware kit (kitted as pair) $33.82

(2) 955-352-960-00 – Rear Caliper hardware kit (kitted as pair) $21.64

Total price for front and rear brakes (no rotors) $364.19…not too bad for two hours of work on a Saturday morning.

I found the calipers exceptionally easy to work with. I have the right tools for most jobs, which makes this kind of DIY fairly easy. I had no trouble removing the pins or anything for that matter. It was surprisingly quick. Seemed easier than my Boxster…the biggest hassle was removing each wheel (20's are heavy).

Started it up…no more brake pad workshop error. Took it for a twenty minute spin to seat the pads…not a sound, squeal, or anything. I used synthetic brake pad grease on the backs of the rear pads. The fronts came with this really cool high performance orange looking grease, so I used that. Not a sound.

The brake job is a very easy DIY.

All the best,

Well…finally got to the brakes today. I bought parts for the front and rear based on RFM’s comments about the rear pads at 48K too. Sure enough, I had one sensor worn through in the rear and one in the front (I drove another 200-300 miles after the brake pad workshop indicator came on). The one rear one was really worn through.

I’ve always been an OEM guy…but for my ’06 Cayenne I went with the Hawk dustless pads. It is a beautiful vehicle and I just hate how quick the wheels get dusty. It’s a SoCal Cayenne, so I keep it washed weekly and always looking good. Anyway, I hate dirty wheels. I’ll give these pads a shot. I heard a few good comments from posting’s here.

Here’s what I went with:

Total price for front and rear brakes (no rotors) $364.19…not too bad for two hours of work on a Saturday morning.

I found the calipers exceptionally easy to work with. I have the right tools for most jobs, which makes this kind of DIY fairly easy. I had no trouble removing the pins or anything for that matter. It was surprisingly quick. Seemed easier than my Boxster…the biggest hassle was removing each wheel (20's are heavy).

Started it up…no more brake pad workshop error. Took it for a twenty minute spin to seat the pads…not a sound, squeal, or anything. I used synthetic brake pad grease on the backs of the rear pads. The fronts came with this really cool high performance orange looking grease, so I used that. Not a sound.

All the best,

Hi Bill,

I am also about to change the pads on my 2005 Cayenne S, this will be the first time I change any brake pads so I would like to thank you for your write up here.

One question after reading this, you mentioned about the grease on the rear pads, what are they and where should it be applied? Same question on front pads too. Are there any other things I should be watching out for? I tend to like to get a detailed procedure list before I dare to move forward with anything on the car...

Thanks a BUNCH.

Andy

Here’s what I went with:

All the best,

Hi Bill,

I am also about to change the pads on my 2005 Cayenne S, this will be the first time I change any brake pads so I would like to thank you for your write up here.

One question after reading this, you mentioned about the grease on the rear pads, what are they and where should it be applied? Same question on front pads too. Are there any other things I should be watching out for? I tend to like to get a detailed procedure list before I dare to move forward with anything on the car...

Thanks a BUNCH.

Andy

Hi Andy,

There are some great write ups on the DIY on the forum. You can search and see the step by step with pictures.

The grease I am referring to is the grease you'll need to apply to ensure you don't have that terrible squeak or brake squeal. I've always used the synthetic brake pad grease. While only three pistons hit the back of the pad, I coat the entire metal portion of the back of the pad with brake grease. Some guys use high temp RTV, apply it the pad, let is sit overnight and install. I've always done fine with the high temp brake pad grease. What I am referring to for the front pads is that Hawk provided their own compound and I used that.

The brake sensor wires don't come out of the housing to pull apart, but it's very easy. I used a flat head screwdriver where the latch is (you can look at a new sensor and see how they come apart) and then I simply used a pair of pliers to pull down and the sensors are easily removed.

I have brake piston compression tools, however, for the Cayenne, I found that using a large pair of channel locks with duck tape wrapped on the plier portion as to not scratch the calipers was the hot ticket. You can easily squeeze each piston in so that all three are recessed and then the brake pad(s) easily drop in to place.

I think you'll enjoy working on the brakes on your Cayenne and not only realizing the savings, but knowing it got done right by you.

All the best,

Here’s what I went with:

All the best,

Hi Bill,

Thanks a BUNCH.

Andy

Hi Andy,

There are some great write ups on the DIY on the forum. You can search and see the step by step with pictures.

The grease I am referring to is the grease you'll need to apply to ensure you don't have that terrible squeak or brake squeal. I've always used the synthetic brake pad grease. While only three pistons hit the back of the pad, I coat the entire metal portion of the back of the pad with brake grease. Some guys use high temp RTV, apply it the pad, let is sit overnight and install. I've always done fine with the high temp brake pad grease. What I am referring to for the front pads is that Hawk provided their own compound and I used that.

The brake sensor wires don't come out of the housing to pull apart, but it's very easy. I used a flat head screwdriver where the latch is (you can look at a new sensor and see how they come apart) and then I simply used a pair of pliers to pull down and the sensors are easily removed.

I have brake piston compression tools, however, for the Cayenne, I found that using a large pair of channel locks with duck tape wrapped on the plier portion as to not scratch the calipers was the hot ticket. You can easily squeeze each piston in so that all three are recessed and then the brake pad(s) easily drop in to place.

I think you'll enjoy working on the brakes on your Cayenne and not only realizing the savings, but knowing it got done right by you.

All the best,

Andy,

Here is a post that shows a Cayenne brake job:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=Brake+Pads

Three things when looking at this post:

1) I recommend jack stands. The person doing this brake job has his legs under the vehicle with a floor jack; while probably safe, I don't recommend it. I also did the entire four corners on my knees in lieu of sitting. There is just something about having my legs under a vehicle held up with a floor jack.

2) Check how your sensor wires are before you reassemble your brake pads. In this DIY, the brake pad sensor cable is routed under the brake pin when it should be over the brake pin.

3) Phillips screwdriver for a punch is not the hot ticket. It will take a while to hammer on a screwdriver as with a punch it is relatively easy. I believe I used a 1/4" punch.

All the best,

Hi Bill,

This is great. And, thanks for all the great tips. I am also gathering info on doing the 996 brake pads/rotors, possibly will work it out first since the "brake wear" light is already on. The Cayenne will be next. These are very helpful tips you have for me, I thank you once again.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by b_creative3

• 3 weeks later...

hi bill,

i got the same light on after i fixed brake pads to my cayenne s front and back.... even change thesensor wire but the problem is still there. it lighted everytime i start the car and went off momentarily leaving the ! sign on during the journey.

do you have any ideas why?

thanks. :( :(

You may have broken the sensor when you fitted

hi bill,

i got the same light on after i fixed brake pads to my cayenne s front and back.... even change thesensor wire but the problem is still there. it lighted everytime i start the car and went off momentarily leaving the ! sign on during the journey.

do you have any ideas why?

thanks. :( :(