Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

05- 06 boxter s or non s model ?

Hi. New guy here from Canada. I have been researching the 05 or 06 boxter S as i am in the stages of purchasing. My question is. The boxter s models im looking at are the tiptronic models and they are all quite a bit higher mileage machines. But the non s models are alot lower mileage. I like the white instrument cluster on the S plus the bigger motor but is the extra money worth it? There are alot more non s models to choose from so im stuck . I need advice on the actual difference between the 2 and do you know the difference when your behind the wheel?

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Zedex

Hi. New guy here from Canada. I have been researching the 05 or 06 boxter S as i am in the stages of purchasing. My question is. The boxter s models im looking at are the tiptronic models and they are all quite a bit higher mileage machines. But the non s models are alot lower mileage. I like the white instrument cluster on the S plus the bigger motor but is the extra money worth it? There are alot more non s models to choose from so im stuck . I need advice on the actual difference between the 2 and do you know the difference when your behind the wheel?

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Zedex

I drove a 2006 non S model, before purchasing my 07 S model, so even more of a differnce with HP... I think is was like 240 vs. 295. Can't really notice much difference in every day driving, but do notice in "spirited" driving. Either way, great fun car, though I would not choose a tiptronic as I believe it kills the driving experience. I had a 350z roadster in automanual transmission and I broke the lease after only 1 year b/c it just was not fun to drive. I ended up with a mazda 3 5-speed as my daily driver and I actually have more fun driving it than I did my 350zr.

That being said, it really does all come down to the options... I like listening to (and being able to hear) music even when driving with the top down on the highway, so if this is you as well, better get the BOSE radio in the car. The non S model I test drove did not have it and the radio could not be heard at highway speeds.

Welcome! I am also new here. I recently purchased a 2005 Boxster (in speed yellow) myself. I also liked the white instrument cluster on the S better than the standard black as I have a similar layout in my daily driver. However, now that I have it, the color of the instrument cluster is the last thing on my mind while I'm enjoying the car! :-) Besides that and the obvious difference in engine, the other differences that I know of are:

*) 6-Speed transmission (optional on the non-S, standard on the S)

*) 18" Boxster-S Wheels (optional on the non-S, standard on the S)

*) Dual sport exhaust (optional on the non-S, standard on the S)

*) Red brake calipers (optional on the non-S, standard on the S)

For reference, my car had 33,500 miles with the following options: 6-Speed Transmission, 18" Boxster-S Wheels, Sport Chrono, PASM, Dual Exhaust, Heated Seats, Power Seats, Automatic Climate Control, Navigation System, 6 Disc CD Changer, Multi-function Steering Wheel, and the Windstop. It is also covered by Porsche's extended 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I paid $24,400 USD about a month ago. Hope this helps with your purchasing decision!

Jason

PS... Take a look at these links for more info:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/porsche-boxster-history6.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/porsche-boxster-history7.htm

Edited by jfoxny

I drove a 2006 non S model, before purchasing my 07 S model, so even more of a differnce with HP... I think is was like 240 vs. 295. Can't really notice much difference in every day driving, but do notice in "spirited" driving. Either way, great fun car, though I would not choose a tiptronic as I believe it kills the driving experience. I had a 350z roadster in automanual transmission and I broke the lease after only 1 year b/c it just was not fun to drive. I ended up with a mazda 3 5-speed as my daily driver and I actually have more fun driving it than I did my 350zr.

My fastest times on the track have been with a Tip. Is it going fast or the illusion of going fast that you seek? Ed

I never said my purpose was going as fast as possible, I think the tip kills the driving experience. The driver involvment of depressing the clutch and shifting the gears, to me, is what makes the driving experience more fun. I know a computer can shift faster than me, and someone can probably program a computer to drive your car around the track faster than you can as well, but what is the point?

Thanks for the input. I have had all standard trans vehicles in the past but now i really like relaxing and enjoying the ride. The thing about it is you can still shift on the fly with the tip or relax. The wife also cant drive stick nor do i want to teach her. I tried teaching her once before and she did not like or understand the shifting experience so a stick is pretty much out of the question.

Good info on the bose stereo. Thats good to know.

• 5 months later...

What did you wind up with? I purchased a 2003 Boxster S this past July. When test driving various cars I noticed a big difference between the S and non-S. Non-S is a great daily driver. My Boxster S is a third car that only comes out on nice days for spirited driving. Hope to get it on the track in the Spring.

• 3 weeks later...
What did you wind up with? I purchased a 2003 Boxster S this past July. When test driving various cars I noticed a big difference between the S and non-S. Non-S is a great daily driver. My Boxster S is a third car that only comes out on nice days for spirited driving. Hope to get it on the track in the Spring.

Hi. I ended up buying an 06 non s with very low k. I also opted for the 5 spd standard and am very glad i did. Love the car. :)The wife rides shotgun. :lol:

Hi. I ended up buying an 06 non s with very low k. I also opted for the 5 spd standard and am very glad i did. Love the car. :)The wife rides shotgun. :lol:

IF you want to teach her to shift I recommend you have someone else do it. I had same problem with my now-ex. Hired a driving school instructor to teach her in my 914. She picked it up easily according to him. Only one lesson required.

Enjoy the car AND the shotgun.

IF you want to teach her to shift I recommend you have someone else do it. I had same problem with my now-ex. Hired a driving school instructor to teach her in my 914. She picked it up easily according to him. Only one lesson required.

Enjoy the car AND the shotgun.

Haha. Her learning car will definitely be a rental or otherwise. :)