Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stereo problem

I have a MY03 Boxster with the stock stereo system that includes the woofers in the doors. When I purchased the car the right side dash speaker was not working. Suddenly a few days after bringing the car home it started working again. Then it stopped. The funny thing was, in the beginning and only when the weather was cold, if I got out of the car and locked it, then got back in a few minutes later the speaker would start working again. Now that the weather has turned warmer it stopped working all together. I pulled the speaker yesterday and the connections are fine. What should I test and how should I test it? I am thinking I may have a bad amp but I want to be sure before trying to find a good used one. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It sounds like a bad wire to me. When wires get wet,

they work better. When the wire dries, they stop working.

Look for bends where the wire inside is broken.

Paul

Better yet, anyone have a wiring diagram they can look at so I know what wire to check at the amp for continuity?

I had the exact same symptoms, same speaker. In looking a the speaker itself, the line from the magnet to the paper cone had broken at the cone end just enough to lose contact at times. The speaker would sometimes connect/disconnect on turns. Did you carefully inspect that?

I had the exact same symptoms, same speaker. In looking a the speaker itself, the line from the magnet to the paper cone had broken at the cone end just enough to lose contact at times. The speaker would sometimes connect/disconnect on turns. Did you carefully inspect that?

UPDATE: Today I lit a spark under my *** and went to troubleshooting. I pulled the dash speakers and swapped them. Right sie still does not work so the speaker is now known to b good. The only two things left are wiring and the amp. Can anyone tell me what pins to check at the amp connection to test for continuity so I can rule th wires out?

UPDATE: Today I lit a spark under my *** and went to troubleshooting. I pulled the dash speakers and swapped them. Right sie still does not work so the speaker is now known to b good. The only two things left are wiring and the amp. Can anyone tell me what pins to check at the amp connection to test for continuity so I can rule th wires out?

As Loren likes to say: "Have you used the search function on this site? it has been covered many times before."

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=144770

As Loren likes to say: "Have you used the search function on this site? it has been covered many times before."

Respectfully, after searching spark plug changes and reading mulitiple non helpfull posts, I must say the search function leaves much to be desired. However thank you for the reply. That was exactly what I needed. :-)

Respectfully, after searching spark plug changes and reading mulitiple non helpfull posts, I must say the search function leaves much to be desired. However thank you for the reply. That was exactly what I needed. :-)

I know i get that too. The longer you are on the board though the more you know which are repetitive questions and how to filter for selections a bit more precisely.

Well as it turns out the wires were fine. Had continuity no matter how I jiggled the harness. That left the amp the suspect. While I had it out of the car I decided to pop the cover off and see if I could find a burned track or loose connection somewhere. I managed to get the top board out but the bottom board looked like you needed some special tools to remove it. So I put it all back together and guess what? Suddenly its started working again. I played around with it last night and had it going the whole ride to work this morning without a hiccup. We'll have to see how long this lasts!

Well as it turns out the wires were fine. Had continuity no matter how I jiggled the harness. That left the amp the suspect. While I had it out of the car I decided to pop the cover off and see if I could find a burned track or loose connection somewhere. I managed to get the top board out but the bottom board looked like you needed some special tools to remove it. So I put it all back together and guess what? Suddenly its started working again. I played around with it last night and had it going the whole ride to work this morning without a hiccup. We'll have to see how long this lasts!

You probably "accidentally" repaired a bad, or intermittant, ground connection. Hey...if it ain't broke, don't fix it ! :P

You probably "accidentally" repaired a bad, or intermittant, ground connection. Hey...if it ain't broke, don't fix it ! :P

Whatever I did it's still going strong! We'll see how long my luck holds out!