Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I recently 'upgraded' from my '01 996 Cabrio to an '06 Carrera S (woo hoo!). I had noticed right after I took it that when it started, it cranked slowly - at times seeming like it may not start...very similar, if not the same, as when you have a battery that's about to die, or a starter about to go. For the first few days I put my battery on a tender to see if it made a difference...it did not. I took the car to Dutch Treat, a great local independent shop who's been taking care of my 996 for the past 3 years. He tested the battery, which tested just fine, and said it was the starter. As the car is still under warranty, I took it to Porsche. Long story short - they said that the car tested within spec and, while they admitted it cranked slow and unusual, I was told that, basically, the warranty issue is a pass/fail issue and since it passed, they would not do anything. So, I have no choice but to keep driving it, waiting for the day (that I believe will come) where it doesn't turn over.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what, if anything, was done?

Thanks!

The alternator cable on the 997-2 engine is fatter. This

cable cost about $50 but it cost about $1000 for labor

with a tip.

If you go under the car near the pasenger side close to where

the transmission meets the motor you will see a little door

that somewhat covers the connection. This connection gets dirty

because it is so close to the road.

Dis connect the battery. Un-bolt the connection. Then sand all surfaces

clean.

This works real good.

One mechanic told me that he has replaced the connections with

some after maket connections with good results.

Paul

I recently 'upgraded' from my '01 996 Cabrio to an '06 Carrera S (woo hoo!). I had noticed right after I took it that when it started, it cranked slowly - at times seeming like it may not start...very similar, if not the same, as when you have a battery that's about to die, or a starter about to go. For the first few days I put my battery on a tender to see if it made a difference...it did not. I took the car to Dutch Treat, a great local independent shop who's been taking care of my 996 for the past 3 years. He tested the battery, which tested just fine, and said it was the starter. As the car is still under warranty, I took it to Porsche. Long story short - they said that the car tested within spec and, while they admitted it cranked slow and unusual, I was told that, basically, the warranty issue is a pass/fail issue and since it passed, they would not do anything. So, I have no choice but to keep driving it, waiting for the day (that I believe will come) where it doesn't turn over.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what, if anything, was done?

Thanks!

The problem needs to be properly diagnosed using the voltage drop test method. Its true that the starter alternator cable does go bad, but it can also be a voltage drop somewhere else in the B+ circuit up to the battery. I suggest taking it to Callas Rennsport, they got the factory scanner and all the right tools. The warranty policy with porsche regarding batteries is that if you dont put 6K in mileage per year the battery will not be covered. Regarding the starter, this is 100% not the problem, this is from my experience with these issues.

vizcarra44

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

The problem needs to be properly diagnosed using the voltage drop test method. Its true that the starter alternator cable does go bad, but it can also be a voltage drop somewhere else in the B+ circuit up to the battery. I suggest taking it to Callas Rennsport, they got the factory scanner and all the right tools. The warranty policy with porsche regarding batteries is that if you dont put 6K in mileage per year the battery will not be covered. Regarding the starter, this is 100% not the problem, this is from my experience with these issues.

vizcarra44

Had the same problem, tried everything including cable connection etc. New starter was the only answer and 100% cured. In the end I had spent a lot of time, money and stress avoiding changing the starter. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one!

Had the same issue with my 07 S several months ago...the dealership had to replace some cables and other parts which was all done under warranty, they were also aware of the issue. The repair made it about 50% better but it wasn't until my engine needed replacement two months ago that I realized something else was also causing the slow crank as now it cranks and sounds like it should when doing so.

Why did your engine need to be replaced? On an 07???? Please do tell.....

History:

Purchased new by me with 3 miles on the odo, no tracking and broken in by the book. At about 17k miles I noticed noisy valve clatter one morning upon start up which went away and never returned, but the car began drinking oil like a drunken sailor and the driver's side exhaust began getting very sooty; this all turned out to be from a faulty piston and or cylinder which required engine replacement.