Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello to all.. I have something I wish to share with you that may be of some interest. With close to 65000 on the odometer I have been adding 1 quart of oil every 900-1000 miles like clockwork , so far so good.. The last time I changed my oil I switched from mobil 1( 0-w40) to castrol ful synthetic (5-w50), again so far so good.. Now it has been almost 5000 miles since the oil change and not one ounce of oil has left the engine!!I am curious as to why this would happen? I know that most of the oil lost is lost through the turbos and sucked up into the intake and exits through the exhaust, but why would changing the weight so slightly make such a dramatic difference? Any thoughts would be welcomed.. <_<

I wouldn't think it would make a significant difference either. Are you seeing a degradation in fuel economy with the 5w-50? My wife's S burned two quarts during the first oil change cycle when it was first new off the lot. My dealer, as well as after market articles told me I should expect to add 1-2 quarts of oil during intervals. I don't run Mobil1 in any of my vehicles. I run Amsoil. After the first oil change I added 5W-40 Amsoil European blend and have since not had issues with flash off or consumption of oil.

I know in the case of Amsoil, [it resists Heat, which in turn reduces oil consumption and emissions. AMSOIL produces their motor oils to be thermally stable with a strong resistance to high temperature volatility (burn-off). They are also heavily fortified with detergent and dispersant additives designed to prevent sludge deposits and keep engines clean. Low volatility and clean operation reduce oil consumption and emissions]. The 5w-40 for example, [offers excellent oxidation stability, heat resistance and detergency properties that keep engines clean. It is specially designed to prevent sludge and varnish deposits for reduced oil consumption, extended engine life and maximum overall performance]. (Retrieved from Amsoil through synpsg.com on 07/25/2009)

I distribute Amsoil and Mobil1. I recommend Mobil1 to my Porsche customers simply because it is a good product and it is Porsche's recommended oil. Based on my industry knowledge, I use Amsoil. Not sure about Castol, but Amsoil is not an approved Porsche oil. According to industry standard tests however, it is one of the best and generally performs better than Mobil1. There is lots of data out there on oil performance...

A bit of history on US synthetics...Amsoil developed and marketed the first synthetic oil for automotive use in 1972; Mobil1 followed in 1976. Amsoil has remained small and manufacturers in the US with distribution points in Puerto Rico and Canada. Mobil1 has obviously developed commercially with a global footprint for mfg and distribution.

Keep us posted.

All the best,

Bill :beer:

When I was using the 0-40, I had a lot of oil coming into the intake from the drivers side turbo. Also when I would come to a stop, the engine would stumble because of the oil getting on the sensor. The dealer told me that was normal and I should drive hard from time to time and it would get sucked up into the engine and blow out the exhaust thus not building up in the line. Since the change in oil the consumption went to zero. If you dont beleive it try it for yourself. I only went to the heavier oil because the summer is so hot in the south.

Have you noticed any change in oil pressure or engine temperature?

I am confused by the original title of this post. You say that you changed brands but really that is not the most salient feature. You changed oil weight. This can account for your decrease in consumption as much or more than the change in brand. I would be concerned about robbing Paul to pay Peter meaning that though you may avoid small amount of oil loss you may be robbing the needed lubricity for the motor longevity. Be careful and make sure that YOU are focused on the most important issue - i.e., the change in oil weight.

Well to start off with , 1 quart of oil every 600 miles is far from normal. My father has been in the service station business all his life and I might add I have been in it all my life. Never have I come across a car that uses this much oil. Yes I did change the weight but I have owned many amg mercedes and never once have I ever had one that burned one drop of oil. My whole point is the weight of the oil, why did it make such a drastic reduction in oil use. Im going to stick with it. The truck has never run better, you guys can be negative thats fine. Thats what the forum is all about :) :) :)

Well to start off with , 1 quart of oil every 600 miles is far from normal. My father has been in the service station business all his life and I might add I have been in it all my life. Never have I come across a car that uses this much oil. Yes I did change the weight but I have owned many amg mercedes and never once have I ever had one that burned one drop of oil. My whole point is the weight of the oil, why did it make such a drastic reduction in oil use. Im going to stick with it. The truck has never run better, you guys can be negative thats fine. Thats what the forum is all about :) :) :)

My '05 AMG G55 burned a quart every 6 wks. My 95 C36 burned a quart every 2 mos. My 92 e500 burned a quart every 2 mos. All were said to be "normal". I did change the weight on the C36 as you did and noticed an almost immediate higher temp on the gauge. My SWB 99 G500 has never burned any thing. All are/were running Mobil 1. Most interesting is my new TS does not burn anything thus far using Mobil 1. Only point is be careful. Weight change may work but I would be concerned about the other issues such as temp and lubricity at extremes. Good luck and be careful as an engine is so expensive and a quart of oil is cheap.