Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does anyone know if changing the drive belt is like a 996 Carrera? I have 66K on my S and want to know how to change it. I have checked most posting,but no details on hoe and if there is room to get to it. Thanks all

• Moderators

The "S" is approx. the same (NOT for TURBO), just a little more lack on room, make a drawing of the belt routing before replacing, it will make it easier to find out in case of doubt.

The "S" is approx. the same (NOT for TURBO), just a little more lack on room, make a drawing of the belt routing before replacing, it will make it easier to find out in case of doubt.

Thanks RMF, but how is the belt removed compared to a 996?

Thanks RMF, but how is the belt removed compared to a 996?

RMF, do you have a diagram? I do not know which one is the tensioner. DO happen to know if the bolt on the tensioner is a 24mm like on the 996? Thanks

While you have the belt off inspect all of the pulleys including the water pump for movement/roughness.

Wvicary, what type of movement should i look for? How much movement should there to begin with? Do you know if there are any pics of drive belt replacement?

There will always be slight radial movement in all the idlers/tensioner pulley. Try and put a load on them while turning at the same time to feel any roughness. The water pump should have no play in the brng assembly and should be free of noise. Sorry I have no diagram at hand but it is very straight foreword if you take a close look at the belt system.

There will always be slight radial movement in all the idlers/tensioner pulley. Try and put a load on them while turning at the same time to feel any roughness. The water pump should have no play in the brng assembly and should be free of noise. Sorry I have no diagram at hand but it is very straight foreword if you take a close look at the belt system.

Which one is the tensioner to loosen the belt?

• Moderators

An open key is an ordinary key, looks like a wrench >> :wrench: fits on the tensioner hexagonal body, which is the pivot point, to slacken the tensioner (# 17 on "wvicary" diagram) It is not necessary to disconnect the coolwater tube to replace the belt.

An open key is an ordinary key, looks like a wrench >> :wrench: fits on the tensioner hexagonal body, which is the pivot point, to slacken the tensioner (# 17 on "wvicary" diagram) It is not necessary to disconnect the coolwater tube to replace the belt.

An "open end box wrench" in our terminology. Thanks.

RMF, is #17 apart of 19? do you remove the black cap to find the hex bolt? I still finding it difficult as to which tensioner is the correct one and how to tackle it. Thanks

You want to use a 30mm open end wrench on the hex portion of item #17 of the parts diagram.

Ptec, thanks! but when you mean top portion, is there also another pully that needs to be loosen? or it just item 17 with the 30mm socket? Thanks Again.

You want to use a 30mm open end wrench on the hex portion of item #17 of the parts diagram.

Ptec, thanks! but when you mean top portion, is there also another pully that needs to be loosen? or it just item 17 with the 30mm socket? Thanks Again.

Can the coolant hoses to the left and right of the radiator be removed to make more room to change the drive belt? I want to make sure coolant does not come pouring out.