Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Airbag indicator

Recently I left my car in a valet in San Francisco. One they returned the car the airbag light was on. There is no sign of any damage on the vehicle. Is there any reason why the light should come on? or are there x,y & z reasons? My car is a 97 2.5L. No prior accidents based on the data I have on the car.

Scherb

Edited by scherb

• Moderators

I was told that until July of last year Porsche would do the latest fix for free. My out of warranty 1997 was done for free the second time in 2002. In July of last year Porsche stopped doing things that they would normally have taken care of for free.

I was told that it is now a case by case basis, such as a long history of prior fixes. Pat with a 1999 just had the latest fix which involves new buckles and ground wires and he had to pay for the labor. There is also a older 996 guy on this board who had the light due to a bad control unit. Porsche paid for the part and he paid for the labor. Neither were the original owners so they did not know if there was a history of air bag light problems. Pat told me how much he paid, something like $500 but check with Pat as I was not paying attention.

All warranty work for your car is in the Porsche computer. And any friendly dealer can look up your VIN to see if it has been fixed before. And there has never been a recall.

Then they need to read the fault codes with a PST2 to see what is needed. Control unit, new buckles, or new ground wires. Otherwise it is just a guess as to what the problem is.

If you go to the October 9th tech session in Sant Cruz Tim Benson has a PST2 and he can read the codes. He use to work for Porsche but now has his own shop. He also does the fix for out of warranty cars.

• 4 weeks later...

TP

I got the records from Stevens Creek. Airbag light came on at 47k (Code 48), Porsche replaced both seat belt buckles and midified wiring harness. (Under warranty). Then at 69k airbag light came up again and the tech replaced airbag control unit also under warranty. I will wait to see what the PST2 brings up next Saturday at Santa Cruz.

Seems odd that the control unit would fail in less then 20k agree?

• Moderators

Your car has a history of prior fixes.

This will be interesting to see if a dealer tries to get you to pay if your car has not been messed around with since the last 2 fixes.

Electronic stuff can fail at any second for any reason. That is why I have had 4 notebook computers in 5 years.

Like why the remote control key head stops working after years of service, or a control unit, or a DME, or an air flow sensor.

As previously stated, an airbag fault light can illuminate for any number of problems as detected by the airbag control unit. On the Cayenne, if the fault is with a specific airbag, then that device is disabled until the problem is resolved and the fault cleared with the PST2. Intermittant airbag faults are not automatically cleared based on a specific number of ignition cycles, like other vehicle faults, but instead require the PST2.