Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Running Problem - MAF?

Help with a problem

- 2000 Boxster S w/ 57K

- Ran fine, left parked for 4 days

- While parked accessed the HVAC diagnostic and cycled through the menus with key on, engine off.

- Went to drive the next day and car starts but will not rev beyond 2K and has no power

- Barely able to get back into my garage

- Check engine light came on only after a few minutes of running, on constantly now

- Can press accelerator to the floor but no response beyond a slow increase in revs to 2K

- Once the accelerator is beyond 1/8 to ¼ throttle, the motor hesitates

- Idles fine except occasionally exhibits a drop in revs.

- Cycling the AC compressor exacerbates the RPM drops

- Removed the MAF and cleaned although it was pristine wit no evidence of damage or oil film.

- Put back in, no difference.

I realize my symptoms are consistent with a failed MAS, however before spending $375 I thought I would post for suggestions. Since I had absolutely no running problems prior and the problem started immediately after accessing the HVAC menu system, is there any correlation? I had the ignition key on with engine not running for approximately 5 min. I would think that would not cause a problem.

Thanks Henry Jay

MAF update

Cleaning did no god.

Took Highlander’s advice and left MAF unplugged

Car runs fine

Plug it in and symptoms return.

FYI the car will run fine with out MAF plugged in

Down on power and seems to have some “indecision” when changing from closed loop to open loop. Certainly drivable and capable of getting home. In fact I pulled the DME fuse to reset CEL and drove 5-6 miles with no CEL light.

Still have to wonder if messing around with the HVAC diagnostic readout caused the failure or is it a coinkydink?

Henry Jay

• Moderators

Did you eat a hamburger within 10 days of the problem. Maybe that is the reason. :D Coincidence. This A/C display thing is rather old stuff and it is there because the display came from an Audi and that is what they used. I have done this on several local owner's cars, including my own, and pushing the buttons is not going to kill an an air flow sensor.

If you can find another Boxster owner with the exact same part number on the sensor then swap them and drive around for a while, turning the car on and off once in a while. Then you will know.

Or have someone with an OBD2 code reader read the fault codes when the check engine light is on.