Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Local help please for basic 986 maint central PA

Fellow Porsche owners...we have recently come to own a 1998 986 thru a family members passing. I am reasonably mechanically inclined as I do all the work that I can on our other vehicles. This 'cute' little sliver and black beauty just intimidates the heck out of me. I swear it sits in the garage with those big bug eyes and that front grill 'grinning' back at me daring me to attempt even the most minor of services. I was able to change the oil and filter (yippe). Now I would like to tackle some of the basic 'engine' maint....that being said I have read and read and even own the service manual about revealing the 'engine' compartment. I alas am a visual learner not a read and interpert learner. What I would enjoy would be to borrow someone for an afternoon (paid for their time of course) to SHOW me what I should be trying to do and how to do it properly. With my luck I would get the engine exposed and be so over joyed with my success I would then stare at the thing and wonder now how did I get all that apart. Are there perhaps a few likely candidates in the south central Pa area Hbg to be exact that could help out and assit me for a few hours on a Sat or Sun to help remove my fear of this vehicle. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

... I have read and read and even own the service manual about revealing the 'engine' compartment... I alas am a visual learner not a read and interpert learner. ..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wish I could help, but pa is a bit of a drive, For startrers thow, the factory manual is a nightmare if your visually inclined. A lot of people use Bently manual, never seen it but might be more user friendly. $50 on amazon I think.

If it's running well, no CEL, no knocks and clankes, there isn't that much maintenance to do that's critical up there. Maybe the serpentine belt (on front) and air filter...can't think of much else, of course a good look around for generic problems wont hurt. (cracking hoses, oil leaks, loose what nots, etc

If your mechanically inclined , getting access is easy, the carpet behind the seats comes out without much fuss, the top carpet and storage box come of with little flip up and twist things. Under that, 2 metal panels, self explanatory.

Good luck, have fun PK

Fellow Porsche owners...we have recently come to own a 1998 986 thru a family members passing. I am reasonably mechanically inclined as I do all the work that I can on our other vehicles. This 'cute' little sliver and black beauty just intimidates the heck out of me. I swear it sits in the garage with those big bug eyes and that front grill 'grinning' back at me daring me to attempt even the most minor of services. I was able to change the oil and filter (yippe). Now I would like to tackle some of the basic 'engine' maint....that being said I have read and read and even own the service manual about revealing the 'engine' compartment. I alas am a visual learner not a read and interpert learner. What I would enjoy would be to borrow someone for an afternoon (paid for their time of course) to SHOW me what I should be trying to do and how to do it properly. With my luck I would get the engine exposed and be so over joyed with my success I would then stare at the thing and wonder now how did I get all that apart. Are there perhaps a few likely candidates in the south central Pa area Hbg to be exact that could help out and assit me for a few hours on a Sat or Sun to help remove my fear of this vehicle. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Bentley's is pretty good - lots of pictures.

Can't help you with your specific ask, but can tell you to not be intimidated. These things are not that hard to work on. Between Bentleys, Durametric diagnostic tool, the factory diagnostic manual, and lots and lots of renntech.org, I handle 90 percent of the work on my 986 race car - and I had very little automitive maintenance experience before. (You should see me now - I have a freaking lift in my garage!)

Bentley's is pretty good - lots of pictures.

Can't help you with your specific ask, but can tell you to not be intimidated. These things are not that hard to work on. Between Bentleys, Durametric diagnostic tool, the factory diagnostic manual, and lots and lots of renntech.org, I handle 90 percent of the work on my 986 race car - and I had very little automitive maintenance experience before. (You should see me now - I have a freaking lift in my garage!)

I second ericinboca's comment. Don't be intimidated. I have two cars: a 97 Plymouth Neon, and my 01 Porsche Boxster. I do all maintenance myself on both and honestly, I prefer to work on the Boxster. The mid-engine layout can be a bit daunting at first, but the Porsche engineers seemed to have planned out every common repair so that each can be completed with fairly basic tools and without too much contortion. A good floor jack (or lift) makes a big difference.

I imagine it's complicated to read about taking off the top access panel for the engine, but it only takes a couple of minutes and once you've done it, you won't forget how. There are several ways to access the engine including the top panel, a panel behind the seats, below, and from the rear fenders.

The pictures in the Bentley manual help a lot. Last I checked, it was $60 from the "used and new" section of Amazon.

Edited by secretagent214

Thanks all I have the Bently's manual for my make and model year so I will dive in and 1st after the engine 'reveal'... that seems to be the best place to start. I have to replace the air filter and will attempt that this weekend.

Thanks again..

m2