Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power Seat Memeory

I've read and re read the owner's manual and have done exactly as written but I cannot program seat memory 1. I can program seat memory 2 just fine. I'm using the red key but not trying to program seat by key just memory buttons 1 and 2.

Any ideas?

Red key?

I have two keys/remotes. One is red at the base of the plastic part of the remote and the other is yellow. This enables seat and mirror memory for each key when unlocking the car with the remotes.

No kidding...my two remotes are identical, all black. When you program the button, do you hear a pretty quiet "click click click" as you're holding the button down? I hear it on both of mine..if you can't hear it on Button 1, maybe the button is just bad.

jr,

At the risk of sounding pedantic, "enable" may not impart the correct function for the red and yellow plastic collars at the base of your keys. The collars are there to identify which key is which when two different people are driving the same car.....obviously with different seat and mirror adjustments.

In the PET Catalog they are listed as:

Identification Ring, Key - 996.637.344.00 (Blue and Green)

Identification Ring, Key - 996.637.344.01 (Red and Yellow)

I only point this out because of the keys checkered history for operating correctly. I have memory seats and have had some "bugs" in the programming sequence as well. But the system is very fussy about proper sequence while doing the programming. Also, don't forget, you have to use one key (red?) for program seat one and the other key (yelow?) for program seat two. It's spelled out pretty well in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download one here at RennTech.

Bill

jr,

At the risk of sounding pedantic, "enable" may not impart the correct function for the red and yellow plastic collars at the base of your keys. The collars are there to identify which key is which when two different people are driving the same car.....obviously with different seat and mirror adjustments.

In the PET Catalog they are listed as:

Identification Ring, Key - 996.637.344.00 (Blue and Green)

Identification Ring, Key - 996.637.344.01 (Red and Yellow)

I only point this out because of the keys checkered history for operating correctly. I have memory seats and have had some "bugs" in the programming sequence as well. But the system is very fussy about proper sequence while doing the programming. Also, don't forget, you have to use one key (red?) for program seat one and the other key (yelow?) for program seat two. It's spelled out pretty well in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download one here at RennTech.

Bill

Thanks, Bill, and others for your replys. I guess enable was the wrong word.

I simply want to program seat memory 1 and 2 with the same key and to use the seat buttons along side the seats to recall the memory. I don't care about using the keys/remotes to recall the memories. I know the proper sequence and can set seat memory 2 just fine. Then I move the seat and set seat memory 1 using the same sequence with the same key in the ignition except pressing the #1 button. To see if button 1's memory has been set, I move the seat and press the #1 button and nothing happens. i.e. the memory was not set. There is no quiet clicking noise when memory is set for either 1 or 2 button.

I find it hard to believe that the #1 button has failed but I guess anything can and will happen.

Further insight is appreciated.

jr,

Two last thoughts.....

Erase the settings for the buttons; set button one first and see if the settings are kept in memory. If that works, then the button works. Next, set button two and see if it retains it's memory. If it does, check button one again. If button two does not retain it's memory..........?

There have been reports of unintended hood (boot) lid unlockings while driving. Most of the occurances were caused by dirt particles under the release button. You might try gently cleaning under button one to make sure there isn't something keeping the switch from making contact.

Memory Switch / 996.613.103.01 (through MY01) / MSRP $108.51

Memory Switch / 996.613.103.02 (MY02 and later) / MSPR $108.51

Bill

jr,

Two last thoughts.....

Erase the settings for the buttons; set button one first and see if the settings are kept in memory. If that works, then the button works. Next, set button two and see if it retains it's memory. If it does, check button one again. If button two does not retain it's memory..........?

There have been reports of unintended hood (boot) lid unlockings while driving. Most of the occurances were caused by dirt particles under the release button. You might try gently cleaning under button one to make sure there isn't something keeping the switch from making contact.

Memory Switch / 996.613.103.01 (through MY01) / MSRP $108.51

Memory Switch / 996.613.103.02 (MY02 and later) / MSPR $108.51

Bill

Tried erasing the settings. Seat memory 2 was still set. I tried this with both keys just for grins. Since erasing the memory involves the seat memory #1 button, I assume something is up with that button.

How do you suggest I try gently cleaning under button #1? I will give your suggestion a try.

Thanks.

jr,

The following is from the MY03 Owner's Manual:

"Clearing the stored seat position

1. Switch the ignition on with the desired vehicle

key.

2. Simultaneously press and hold the "key" button

and person button 2 for at least 5 seconds."

I don't know what year your car is, so using button one, as indicated in your last post, may be correct in your case.

As far as cleaning goes, I would look carefully to see if there is an impediment to the switch making proper contact, then gently blow around the switch with something like a computer keyboard cleaner aerosol and finally, use an electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, possibly hook up a PST2 to your car. You may be able to determine the problem....the PST2 / PIWIS experts on the board are more knowledgeable in that regard.

Finally, if you have to replace the memory switch assembly, Sunset is about the most reasonable with their pricing.

Bill

jr,

The following is from the MY03 Owner's Manual:

"Clearing the stored seat position

1. Switch the ignition on with the desired vehicle

key.

2. Simultaneously press and hold the "key" button

and person button 2 for at least 5 seconds."

I don't know what year your car is, so using button one, as indicated in your last post, may be correct in your case.

As far as cleaning goes, I would look carefully to see if there is an impediment to the switch making proper contact, then gently blow around the switch with something like a computer keyboard cleaner aerosol and finally, use an electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, possibly hook up a PST2 to your car. You may be able to determine the problem....the PST2 / PIWIS experts on the board are more knowledgeable in that regard.

Finally, if you have to replace the memory switch assembly, Sunset is about the most reasonable with their pricing.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have an 02 and it is person button #2 not #1. That's what happens when you don't keep a pair of reading glasses in the garage.

Anyway, clearing worked. I was able to program #2 again but not #1.

I will try the suggested cleaning methods in the next day or 2 and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bill-

I tried the cleaning methods for seat memory button #1 to no avail. Since I drive the car 98% of the time I will give seat memory #2 which works to my wife (what a model husband) and move the seat back to my position with the front/ back lever when I jump back into the car.

Thanks for your input.