Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fan not running and resistor did not solve problem

BTW thanks to Loren for valuable info and quality rebuild service on my Motronic ECU and distributor.

On my 996 I was able to identify a fan issue immediately after it stopped working and am now making certain it is the fan. When I saw the temperature rise into the zero of the 180 on the gauge for the first time, I went straight to the front where fans are, and discovered driver's side fan wasn't working. Knowing what to look for helped me identify an issue before it became a problem, not let it get too hot.

I threw in a new resistor and no change. Left nothing right side works on low and high. Have continuity at the fuse. Didn't replace any relays. I bought one but haven't used it. I swapped around the relays from left to right, high to low, and vice versa. No change. Never let it get to 215 degrees. Ran the jumper wires under the relays. No change. Passenger's side fan works on, both, high and low speed, but the driver's side doesn't work at all.

I read about putting 12 volt to it direct yet haven't removed enough parts to where I can test the fan.

Regards,

Edited by BReyes

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I would do:

Start your car, put your finger on the relevant low-speed fan relay, and turn on the A/C. After a brief delay, you should be able to feel the relay click.

If the relay clicks, then you can check to see if voltage is being sent to the front of the car. There is a connector behind the carpeting on each side of the front trunk that connects the relay to the ballast resistor. You can test for voltage there.

If there is voltage at the connector in the front and the ballast resistor is new and installed correctly, then the fan is not working and you will probably need to replace it.

I don't have the wiring diagrams for the 996 (I own a 986) so perhaps someone can chime in with the correct connector pin that carries the electricity to the fan.