Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche crest fell off from wheel center cap

The weather was nice. I washed our car and got ready for a short drive. When I was washing the wheel, I noticed the crest on the wheel center cap was missing.

I looked around, it was not on the garage floor. It was not on our driveway.

Ok, it is gone.

Well, unless I find a Prosche crest to superglue it back on the center cap, I think I will have to buy a center cap to replace it.

That stupid cap is like $61 on Pelican parts. I can't believe it.

Anyway, if anyone has an extra crest, please let me know.

Just a question(or two), do I have to remove the wheel to remove the center cap?

I see two small holes on the center cap, can I remove center cap using these two holes?

I am kind of lazy to take the wheel out.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

T, the 2 holes are the best way to remove the center hub crest cover. A simple bent coat hanger will do the trick to remove them. Do you have the nicer enamel metal crests or the plain black and silver plastic ones? The metal enamel ones are a bit pricy. I have the simple black and silver ones which I have removed and painted with acrylic model paint to look exactly like the hand painted metal enamel ones from Porsche. Here is my DIY thread

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28796

If you have any questions drop me a line here.

M

Hi TH -Had the exact same problem on my Targa. There is a number on the back of the cap which you can use to do a search on e-bay. I got mine for $20. the cost was less of an issue than the fact that I wanted a used one rather than new so that it would match the other caps. The number on the replacement cap was slightly differant but the picture looked the same & in fact the cap was the same. Until I found the replacement I used a decal that I installed on my old cap. I have an extra decal & would be glad to send it to you nc if you PM me your address. Cris

Thanks man,

I sent you a PM with my address.

Our car is hardly driven and was in our garage ever since we bought it.

Can you believe they charged so much for the colored crest center cap and yet it will fall apart like that?

Hi TH -Had the exact same problem on my Targa. There is a number on the back of the cap which you can use to do a search on e-bay. I got mine for $20. the cost was less of an issue than the fact that I wanted a used one rather than new so that it would match the other caps. The number on the replacement cap was slightly differant but the picture looked the same & in fact the cap was the same. Until I found the replacement I used a decal that I installed on my old cap. I have an extra decal & would be glad to send it to you nc if you PM me your address. Cris

Wow, it looks good. :D

T, the 2 holes are the best way to remove the center hub crest cover. A simple bent coat hanger will do the trick to remove them. Do you have the nicer enamel metal crests or the plain black and silver plastic ones? The metal enamel ones are a bit pricy. I have the simple black and silver ones which I have removed and painted with acrylic model paint to look exactly like the hand painted metal enamel ones from Porsche. Here is my DIY thread

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28796

If you have any questions drop me a line here.

M

• 11 months later...

One of my wheel crest's simply fell off, on my 2002 996 Luckily I found it in the garage. I assume I simply have to glue it back on,without removing anything ? Can anyone recommend the best adhesive & prep to re-attach this crest to my wheel ? I don't want it to happen again,any recommendations on what to use ? unsure.gif Thanks Brit Dave....

Edited by britdave

• Admin

Then those center caps should have two holes in them. I use a old VW hub cap puller that is essentially a thick wire bent so that you hook it behind the cap (through the hole) and pull.

If your center caps have no holes then you might have to take the wheels off.