Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing CV Boots or shafts, what else?

So my baby is up on jack stands in the garage doing the 60k maintenance, plus a few other things just to get the peace of mind. While laying there bonding with the car, I noticed grease slung around the left inboard CV joint, yep it's split, but while squeezing them found all four cv boots are split. I don't see evidence of any of the outers throwing grease, but both inners, the left is fresh, the right is old and dirt covered..

On other cars (vw's, and Hondas) I've always bought rebuilt shafts as a unit, and was leaning that way until I saw prices. Pellican says $708 per side for the unit, genuine Porche, will give Sunset a call to check there. At a minimum I need to replace all four boots, clean and re-pack the cv-joints. The car is just shy of 60k, should I just spend the kids college fund and replace the shafts? My thought is I don't know how long the joints have been exposed. This is a daily driver that I put about 12k per year on, and I intend to own it for at least another 5 years if not more.

Since I'm going to have the entire butt end of the car apart, should I replace wheel bearings? Pads and rotors look good and measure good. I'd just rather not be doing this again in 6 months.

What is the usual, replace boots and hope the joints are ok? Or the whole shaft?

Thanks, Chuck

:renntech:

Sunset says $450 per side whole new shafts/boots/everything. They also offer a "rebuild kit" for about $39 each joint which is a new boot, clamps, grease and such.

I would go ahead and get the rebuild kits, CV's last a long time.

I have had the same CV's on my '73 914 for 185,000 miles and only had to replace a couple of pitted balls the time before last, on the grease repack service.

If you question the condition, just clean and inspect and replace as needed as a unit (CV) They may seem difficult but easier than a Rubik's Cube!

Good Luck!

Paul

Thanks for the thought Paul. Time is also an issue, and location. To do the 60k I did it on jack stands in my 2 car garage. I also need to replace the front engine mount, which would be easier on a lift. I have access to a lift at the Army Base, and plan to do the engine mount next weekend. If I can get two shafts new and install them in a couple of hours, I can get rebuild kits later and over the Holidays rebuild them and store them in the garage. From my readings the 6 speed cars are hard on boots, so if I'm going to have to do this again in three years, I'd like to have the rebuilts ready to go. Just in case I do have a bad joint, or bad ball, or whatever, rebuilding them when I can wait for parts is a better deal. I believe Sunset parts said the outter jount comes with the axel, but the inner joint is available. Having a spare set bagged in plastic means I'll NEVER have another boot failure. Worse case, I can sell them as rebuilt on eBay if I never need them, or offer them with the car.

I've learned that driving cars that didn't come from Detroit means sometimes you need to keep spare parts. Thats why I have 2 Discovery drive shafts in the garage, easier to rebuild on my terms than when you HAVE to get to work in the morning.

How long do wheel beaqring last? Are yours 914's still original?

Thanks again, Chuck

Thanks for the thought Paul. Time is also an issue, and location. To do the 60k I did it on jack stands in my 2 car garage. I also need to replace the front engine mount, which would be easier on a lift. I have access to a lift at the Army Base, and plan to do the engine mount next weekend. If I can get two shafts new and install them in a couple of hours, I can get rebuild kits later and over the Holidays rebuild them and store them in the garage. From my readings the 6 speed cars are hard on boots, so if I'm going to have to do this again in three years, I'd like to have the rebuilts ready to go. Just in case I do have a bad joint, or bad ball, or whatever, rebuilding them when I can wait for parts is a better deal. I believe Sunset parts said the outter jount comes with the axel, but the inner joint is available. Having a spare set bagged in plastic means I'll NEVER have another boot failure. Worse case, I can sell them as rebuilt on eBay if I never need them, or offer them with the car.

I've learned that driving cars that didn't come from Detroit means sometimes you need to keep spare parts. Thats why I have 2 Discovery drive shafts in the garage, easier to rebuild on my terms than when you HAVE to get to work in the morning.

Thanks again, Chuck

Chuck,

The wheel bearings were another story, I have yet to replace them on my boxster as it only has 54K on it, on the 914, I am on the 3rd set on the front and second set on the back, that was a fun job!

Paul

Thanks again, Chuck

Pressing out the front or rear wheel bearings is not bad if you remove the wheel carrier and have the right SIR tool. As reference, I have a 986S that is a dedicated track car/race car and gets lots of track time and abuse. I have to change the left front wheel bearing at least once a year, but the rears, I have only changed once in three years. Unless you have the proper tool and you have the wheel carrier off, leave them alone unless you can hear or feel that they are bad. MO

I would not buy the axels. For 750 your getting the axel itself which is a dumb iron bar, 4 cv's you don't need , because you would know it if you did. Even if you do have a bad cv, replace it and leave the others alone (unless a single cv cannot be had).

Regards, PK